phone number mandatory with DSL? what's the point in offering VOIP ?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Test, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Test

    Test Guest

    Good day ladies, gentlemen,

    I'm in Canada and I'm connected using DSL from AEI.ca.
    The physical line is Bell Canada.

    Tell me if I still must have the Bell account if I want to use my actual DSL
    provider for Voip services?

    If I still have to pay Bell Canada ... then what's the point in offering
    VOIP ??????

    Is VOIP with DSL a non-sense?

    I have 2 choices :

    1. Switch to Cable Modem (much more $$$ ... about 15$ more per month)
    2. Just forget VOIP

    I don't mind having some fees for using the physical BELL cables ... But I'd
    rather have the choice for my Internet and phone providers...

    Thanks
    SLY

    Test, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Test

    Rick Merrill Guest

    FWIK, a DSL line IS a phone line (x2) so you have to have a phone number.
    Sure looks like it. The "phone" part is however pretty cheap if you
    don't use it to place calls other than 911...Does Canada have 911? E911?
    flat rate? features? voice mail? free LD?
    No, it's offered in the US also.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Test

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Cheaper (or unlimited) LD, probably more features or cheaper features such
    as Caller ID, VoiceMail, etc. Maybe free in-network calling (i.e. if you
    call between 2 VoIP phones, the call maybe free).

    So if you're a heavy phone user, VoIP should be cheaper.

    Lucas Tam, Feb 23, 2005
  4. number.

    No you don't: DSL data and voice traffic only share the last mile of
    twisted pair. The telefon number has nothing to do with it: it's only used
    by the telephone exchange AFTER the two types of traffic have been split.
    The real issue is that the old telcos are worried of going to lose
    revenues to VoIP, and are trying to shove down the subscribers' throats
    contracts for voice traffic as well. Here is where telecom regulators
    should prove to have balls, if they haven't sold them to the telcos...

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    Here is where telecom regulators
    Um, sorry dude. They sold the family jewels to the bells YEARS ago.

    T. Sean Weintz, Feb 24, 2005