    wires.

    When people get these buttons they don't know they only work if the phone is
    working.

    geopelia, Jun 26, 2013

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    This is the only phone I've got. I don't have a mobile.

    geopelia, Jun 26, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Good! You go to the back of the queue if you don't tell them that.
    That's what professionals do in computer centres. It's not silly at all.
    You can buy special tags to label cables.
    Well, that is a bit naughty of St Johns. It should be mentioned
    somewhere. Ah, it is, in the FAQs on the site!

    Q. How does the St John Medical Alarm work?
    A. Medical alarm systems consist of a base unit connected to a telephone
    line in your home, as well as a push button pendant worn by you that
    activates the base unit in an emergency.

    It would keep working if it was only your usual handset itself died, but
    it seems from your description that more is wrong than that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013
  4. geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    There is in parts of Wellington and Christchurch. Saturn was building
    their own independent network, which is based on a cable (for cable TV
    and Internet) and separate telephone lines. They are delivered to the
    house from the street with the pair of phone lines wrapped around the
    coax cable. The coax cable and phone lines are separated in a box on the
    outside wall of the house.

    When Telstra took over the name changed to TelstraSaturn then
    TelstraClear. At some point, the original plans to build the hybrid
    cable network in other cities were cancelled, and network expansion to
    new areas of Wellington and Christchurch also ceased (they do add
    streets and houses in areas which already have the network, but not new
    suburbs).

    If you join TelstraClear (now Vodafone) and you live on a street with
    cable service, they connect their own phone line to the house, ignoring
    the existing Telecom line, then rewire the external demarcation point so
    that TelstraClear's phone lines are connected rather than Telecom's one.

    If TelstraClear was using Telecom exchanges, they wouldn't need to
    connect a different physical phone line.

    The Internet connection comes from the cable, currently running at 15
    Mbps down and 2 Mbps up for most plans, or 100/10 for the high end
    plans.

    If you join TelstraClear (now Vodafone) and you live on a street/suburb
    without cable service, they give you a wholesaled Telecom phone line
    with ADSL, typically by reassigning your existing phone line.

    Wikipedia has some of the historic details.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TelstraClear

    David Empson, Jun 26, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    In an emergency you might not have time to read those.
    You push the button.
    The phone rings, and a lady asks if you need the ambulance. Tell her what is
    wrong.
    If you don't answer the phone they send the ambulance anyway. You could have
    had a fall or something.
    That is why you wear the button.
    The ambulance has all kinds of equipment for emergencies.

    If somebody else is there, shut the dog up, put the lights on and get the
    yellow medication form ready if he has one.
    They will want to know what the patient is taking, and any allergies.

    geopelia, Jun 26, 2013
  6. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    If I were you Geo I would have used a neighbour's phone to call them (if at
    all possible).

    I considered emailing you the other day, when you first posted this and got
    your details and chasing them for you. Alas, not being a Telecom customer
    myself it would have taken a bit more persuading on my part......

    Still, I reckon I could have had them there within 2 hours - and would have
    if you seemed at all distressed by this - rather than merely concerned. ;)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2013
  7. geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    And as I explained in the bit you snipped, in most of Wellington
    (including the Hutt Valley and Kapiti) and Christchurch, TelstraClear
    (now Vodafone) has their own telephone network, which involves
    physically different phone lines from the Telecom ones, therefore
    TelstraClear also has their own exchanges and roadside cabinets to
    service those areas.
    The TelstraClear network covers the majority of suburbs in greater
    Wellington and Christchurch. Considerably more than 2% of the households
    in the country are on streets where the network is available.

    No matter what the numbers are, your claim that there was 'no such thing
    as a "Tesltra Clear Telephone Exchange"' is clearly wrong.

    David Empson, Jun 27, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    It is very kind of you to be concerned, but now at last the phone is
    working.
    The technician was here today.
    Emailing was fine for sending a message, and probably quicker than holding
    up a neighbour's phone waiting on hold.
    They knew I had the ambulance button and I got "priority", but it still
    took over two days.
    Fortunately I didn't have a sudden emergency.
    St John were very good, they could see their button wasn't working and
    phoned my contact person to see if I was ok.

    geopelia, Jun 27, 2013
  9. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Great to hear that you got it sorted at last Geo - but in my opinion two
    days to get it fixed is one and three-quarter days too long for someone in
    your position. I'm disgusted with Telecom.

    I am in Pukekohe and can't afford to travel much but am always willing to
    help you out if you need it Geo. I believe you have my email address - if
    there's ever anything that you need help with please don't hesitate to get
    in touch. Especially (but not limited to) things that I can chase up on the
    phone for you. We all need help at some stage and I've been the beneficiary
    of other peoples kindness in the past. I would consider it a privilege to
    help you out of you are ever in need. :)

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2013
  10. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Shit we are back in the third world.

    Gordon, Jun 28, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    While it is just a worry for most folks, if someone has a sudden heart
    attack or cuts a main artery there is no time to do
    anything except press the button and hope the ambulance can beat the Grim
    Reaper.

    geopelia, Jun 28, 2013
  12. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Thank you, that's very kind.

    It may not be Telecom's fault that it takes so long.
    Perhaps they can't get enough qualified technicians.

    geopelia, Jun 28, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    It looks as though NZ Post is soon going to be!
    But people won't write letters now with the high cost of postage.
    And if we can't pay our bills by post with cheques things will just get
    worse.
    That's about all the mail I send now.

    Telecom are probably just short of technicians at present.
    They seem to be making a lot of changes in their services.

    geopelia, Jun 28, 2013
  14. geopelia

    Richard Guest

    They are as useless as monitored burgular alarms, in that they have no
    monitoring of the line, just they can tell when the box misses its next
    scheduled checkin by a long time.

    Also the St John boxes just plug into the line, they are not wired for
    line siezing, so that means that if a phone is offhook they are useless,
    so dont fall over when you are on hold to the bank or someone since you
    would be stuffed then.

    The phone line is a very poor way of monitoring something. I can
    understand why it was done before the everywhere availability of GPRS
    and internet connections, but thesedays its a really really dumb way to
    "monitor" something. There is no monitoring going on, just a device
    trying to make an outgoing call in the event of something bad happening.

    Richard, Jun 29, 2013
  15. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It's not just lip service Geo. Please take me up on it if you ever need to.
    I know that you are strongly independant and respect that but we all need a
    little help from time-to-time. :)
    All that Telecom care about is profit - they will do the least that they can
    get away with if allowed to. I'm disgusted with this instance in that they
    treated you so badly and I won't accept any excuse [nor should you be giving
    them any ;) ]. You are a very forgiving person but you pay them for a
    service and you have every right to expect to get that service. There are no
    acceptable excuses.

    Best wishes,

    ~misfit~, Jun 29, 2013
  16. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks Tony. I've been reading Geo's posts for quite a few years now and
    know that she is a wonderful person with a great heart. I'd hate to think
    that she could be badly impacted by something that I could help sort out.

    Great to hear that you help out with some older folks. I believe that it is
    our duty to society to do so but alas, I think that I'm increasingly
    isolated in my view. :-/ I don't care much for this society we live in
    these days.

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Jun 29, 2013
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've always found it very good when Hubby needed help.

    geopelia, Jun 29, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Fortunately I didn't need the ambulance so no harm was done.
    The payment arrangement is with St John, not Telecom.
    Hubby's button cost was reimbursed to him with his disability allowance.
    I'm payng my own at present, taken from my bank.

    geopelia, Jun 29, 2013