phone dead, computer still working.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    The phone started ringing, then stopped.
    Now both the phone and the hands free phone (not a mobile) also the phone
    under the house are all dead.
    The computer which also works off the phone line, I think, (broadband, not
    dial up) is still working.
    I hope St John's button still works, but of course with the phone dead I
    couldn't tell. The light is still on, on the unit.

    Could it be the weather or line men working somewhere? Do you think it will
    come back on?
    Just going to get tea, and I'll try it afterwards. Will keep you posted.

    If it isn't working by morning, who should I get? Telecom, or an
    electrician?

    Very puzzling. Any ideas?

    If somebody has knobbled it to attack me, heaven help him!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    It's conceivable, but I don't know how likely, that the ringing was
    caused by a short somewhere. Phone are low voltage so a short circuit
    won't be an issue as far as safety is concerned.
    It's likely that there is a fault in the road somewhere.
    Hmm, that works on a different frequency band and may use different
    wires. There are usually four in the cable to the house. Do you have
    filters (you plug them in to every phone socket that is in use) or a
    splitter (generally not visible, but it might restrict your broadband to
    one particular socket).
    If you need the St John's button phone Telecom *immediately* and tell
    them so. If the phone doesn't work it is very likely that the St John's
    doesn't either.
    Telecom, and be sure that they know about the St John's button.
    Unlikely, but you do remember your kung fu, don't you?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    But only as far as the entry point, unless you pay the line maintenance
    charges.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 24, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've pushed everything pushable but no luck.

    I will ask the vet next door to phone telecom for me tomorrow.
    I'll try sending them an email and see if they answer.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Yes, I pay wiring maintenance.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I don't understand that, but up to now things have worked so I suppose I
    have got whatever they are.
    Perhaps the lightning the other night shook up something.
    If the phone doesn't work how can I phone St John? If I just press the
    button the ambulance will come if they can't phone me, so I can't do that.
    If the button is working of course.
    I'll send them an email now. I can phone from the neighbours tomorrow.
    Kung fu? There's all the kitchen equipment!
    They've caught the bastard anyway up north somewhere.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    Apparently there may still be one that pretends to be a police officer
    .. . .

    Rich80105, Jun 24, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    St John's unit is flashing a red light, but without the phone there is
    nothing I can do about it. I hope the ambulance doesn't turn up.

    geopelia, Jun 24, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    How do I get one of those please?

    I've sent several emails saying the phone is out and get replies giving
    various phone numbers! Some genius at Telecom.
    Last one says they should reply within four hours.
    St John's phone keeps flashing. They must wonder what's going on.
    If they find me dead in the garden too bad.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  10. We've had it happen twice now that the phones broke down (several
    roads' worth of users were intermittently affected) but the adsl happily
    kept going. Wouldn't ring at times, or would not give us a dialtone most
    of the time when we tried to dial out.
    Basically it was down to a lightening strike some place near by doing
    nasty things to the electronics in the exchange - whether it came in via
    the phone lines or the power lines is unclear.

    Couple of weeks ago my neighbour's mast-top transformer was hit by
    lightening (approx 500m away) and that took out two adsl splitters here
    and the phoneline-surge-protector in the ups, as well as cooking a fixed
    line old-fashioned phone that I keep as backup for powercuts. Presumably
    one would think it shouldv'e come in via the phone lines ... jumped
    networks at their place or some such? I.D.K. but they are actually on a
    different Corus cable from me, but we share a baton since the two cables
    meet outside my house. Surge from the 30kV line back down here? More
    likely - but that should not have touched the fixed line phone?!?

    Pain in the arse in any event. Voltages like lightening involved, it
    seems "shit happens" is about the best explanation.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 25, 2013
  11. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    I've got St John, that has been busily flashing away since it happened. They
    must wonder what is happening.
    Very funny, but alas no chance!
    Yes. that's what we have. 3 things connect to it.
    Thank you. I've just received an email from Telecom telling me to do much
    the same thing,
    which I will do tomorrow morning when there is more light.
    I have to get down on the floor to do it.
    I can refer to your email if I get stuck with theirs.

    If it is their equipment somebody will come on Thursday, they think. I would
    have to make an appointment.
    I hope what I do may fix it though as they charge $139.45 if it is my
    equipment.
    Years ago they would come straight away, before they changed to Telecom.
    I forget what they called themselves before.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  12. geopelia

    David Empson Guest

    Assuming the exchange has a battery.

    During the recent power cuts here in Wellington, thanks to the big storm
    on Thursday night, much of my suburb lost power for about 17 hours; my
    street was out for 20 hours. I was able to dig out my cheap and simple
    landline phone, and it worked. The landline is provided by
    TelstraClear/Vodafone (part of the hybrid cable/phone network that
    TelstraClear's predecessor installed in Wellington).

    A few years ago in a different suburb, there was another power cut over
    a wide area (substation outage), but that time the telephone line also
    went dead. I was with TelstraClear at the time and it appears that they
    had no battery backup in their exchange or cabinet.

    Either TelstraClear got better at installing batteries, or the
    particular exchange/cabinet we're on now happens to have battery backup
    but the previous one didn't, or the exchange/cabinet we're on now is far
    enough away that it wasn't affected by the power outage (or had been
    fixed by morning when I tried the phone).

    David Empson, Jun 25, 2013
  13. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Somebody has finally replied from Telecom.
    I think if I try what they say, (which is much the same as what Tony says
    here), I should know whether it is me or their end.
    They could be cutting down on staff or something, I suppose they are a
    government organisation.

    And it's a foolish man who would attack a large woman in her own kitchen,
    too many lethal weapons handy!

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Perhaps, some of that lightning sounded very close, but there is a lightning
    conductor on the LDS Church nearby.
    I always turn off the computer and TV if there is lightning about.

    I'm going to try a few suggestions tomorrow and we shall see.

    geopelia, Jun 25, 2013
  15. geopelia

    Rich80105 Guest

    No Telecom is now a private organisation - service calls for the sort
    of problem you are having are an opportunity for service chargesand
    profit.

    Rich80105, Jun 25, 2013
  16. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    [blah blah blah... Polotics in nz.comp.....mumble mumble cross-posted
    threads.....]
    Chorus are, IME very prompt. Most all delays are with Telecom actually
    asigning the job to start with.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 26, 2013
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Yes, Telecom seems to be the problem. Just received another email from them
    giving four choices of numbers to call.
    Brilliant, it's the phone that is out of order!
    St John's machine is still flashing. They must wonder what is going on.

    geopelia, Jun 26, 2013
  18. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Sure, I meant from another phone.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013
  19. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Since you have a St Johns button, you can tell them that it is a
    priority to ensure that your line is working.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013
  20. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Exchanges always used to have batteries. I can't see that having changed
    as prices and sizes of equipment have reduced dramatically. However,
    even the biggest batteries can be drained pretty quickly by a short or
    very heavy usage.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 26, 2013