    Is the pgp software these days much better.But i must add that i used free
    software as i was testing it out

    thanks

    m, Jan 8, 2010

  2. Win4GP, GPGShell and Thunderbird plus enigmail all work great for me and
    they
    are all free and open source.

    For the more hardcore Unix users, you can even try mutt or Alpine with gpg,
    I have seen plugins for those email clients.

    Frank Merlott, Jan 8, 2010

  3. m

    Mike Easter Guest

    PGP software is an ambiguous term.

    Your newsagent is Windows Mail.

    What is it that you want to do?

    Mike Easter, Jan 8, 2010
  4. m

    Regis Guest

    I've never had a problem with either the free gpg (under Linux or
    cygwin), or with PGP Desktop for Windows over the past 3 years, for
    whatever that's worth. EVen PGP Desktop's on the fly folder
    encryption (where you create a PGP file and windows mounts it as a
    hard disk) seemed to work flawlessly. I only had a few months of
    experience with PGP full disk encryption, but it too worked without
    incident.

    I don't imagine it's very forgiving though if a hard disk is slowly
    going bad and throwing bad blocks.

    Regis, Jan 8, 2010
  5. m

    unruh Guest

    The encrypted version of the file sure better be scambled. That is the
    whole purpose. Or are you saying that if you encrypt and then decrypt
    that the output is different from the original input. If so that
    indicates either an extremely severe bug in the software that you have
    ( and note that others do not have that bug-- it works for most people)
    or that your system has hardware faults.

    unruh, Jan 8, 2010
  6. m

    m Guest

    To Mike Easter,

    I was trying to encrypt files i have on my hard drive,which is what i am
    trying to do again.

    Molly

    m, Jan 9, 2010
  7. m

    m Guest

    Well i was using win 98 back then before xp was even out.

    m, Jan 9, 2010
  8. m

    m Guest

    yes it was the de crypted version of the file that was scrambled.
    It must have been software bugs as my pc was in very new condition.One of
    the softwares that i used was the paid version from Steganos

    m, Jan 9, 2010
  9. m

    Mike Easter Guest

    Please don't top post. It doesn't communicate well in newsgroups. Trim
    for context and keep a conversational order. See below.
    PGP/GPG type software is a public key strategy with several purposes.
    That isn't the kind of strategy for simply encrypting your own files,
    folders, or partitions.

    You didn't mention your OS version. Since your newsreader is WM, that
    would indicate your OS is Vista. Vista comes with encryption
    capabilities which can be enabled for such as a folder or file.

    A free and open source solution for such as a partition or drive is
    truecrypt.

    Mike Easter, Jan 9, 2010
  10. m

    m Guest

    are you encrypting your own files for security ? I used Steganos software as
    well and that did the same thing to my files,it made some of them unuseable
    after de-crytping them.

    m, Jan 11, 2010
  11. m

    m Guest

    Im using windows 7.
    I used steganos software (as well as free softwares for using as you said
    with a public key) which was supposed to be for encrypting a users own files
    as far as i had read.

    m, Jan 11, 2010
  12. m

    Regis Guest

    I use PGP (or gpg) for encrypting/protecting of customer data on my
    laptops in case of loss/theft, or for encrypting sensitive files
    before transmitting them over the internet by email.

    Steganos I'm not familiar with.

    Regis, Jan 11, 2010