Petzval

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Apr 28, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Petzval?lang=en>

    I haven't posted many pictures taken with the Petzval, which is mostly
    due to the weather not being too nice until now when spring is in full
    bloom. So here are some pics, but I hope to get a few more soon
    enough.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208322.jpg>

    Here's the box it came in

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208321.jpg>

    And here are the things that came with it if you supported the
    Kickstarter-campaign. Quite a few trinkets and stuff. The camera strap
    fit nicely on my Sony RX1.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208320.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 35.0 mm, f/22.0, 1/8000 sec., ISO 400

    It's really hard to focus with the lens. Partly due to the lens not
    being very sharp to begin with, but also due to the fact that you
    focus with a knob on the side instead of turning a focus ring. It's a
    bit tricky, but practice makes perfect!

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208318.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 35.0 mm, f/22.0, 1/8000 sec., ISO 400

    Here you see the pretty fantastic bokeh, and the slight circular
    movement in the background.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208317.jpg>
    NIKON D800E, 35.0 mm, f/22.0, 1/8000 sec., ISO 400

    Also quite unsharp, but the bokeh is really nice

    Sandman, Apr 28, 2014

  2. Sandman

    android Guest

    Well, it is a classic portrait lens design from a time when flattering
    the customer was of the outmost importance. The photogs had to compete
    with painters and their vimfull adjustment of reality! I think that this
    lens can be interesting for you then you make classical portraits.
    Remember that whose were often made vailed daylight.

    Does those birds live in a burglarprone area???

    android, Apr 28, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Ys, I think this will be a pretty amazing portrait portrait for outoor
    portraits, I hope for more greenery outside soon enough, then I'll post
    more pics.
    I bet! I don't remember what the chain was for :)

    Sandman, Apr 28, 2014
  4. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    f/22? Does it even form an image wide-open?

    RichA, Apr 29, 2014
  5. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    Ack! Realized the camera can't be reading the actual aperture. I presume those shots were wide open then? The house one is pretty decent but the portrait is better.

    RichA, Apr 29, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    It's a non-CPU lens, I have no idea why the D800 saved 22 in the EXIF. This
    one was f2.

    Sandman, Apr 30, 2014
  7. Sandman

    android Guest

    Try to fire the camera without a lens and checkout the meta.

    android, Apr 30, 2014