Petzval lens, new sample pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Sep 11, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Sep 11, 2013

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Sep 11, 2013

  3. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    Hopefully, they aren't using a ringer for these shots. Though I'm sure the lenses are pretty much going to be carbon-copies of each other since elements are made on $1M machines designed to duplicate lenses by the thousands.

    RichA, Sep 14, 2013
  4. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I am one of them, which is why the quality of the end product concerns
    me. And when the sample pictures aren't as sharp as I would want them to
    be, that's a shame.

    But, I followed up with some other links that were actually sharper.

    Sandman, Sep 16, 2013
  5. Sandman

    David Taylor Guest

    On 16/09/2013 06:15, Sandman wrote:
    []
    Wasn't the whole point of that lens to provide pictures which were /not/
    sharp, at least away from the centre?

    David Taylor, Sep 16, 2013
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Absolutely. I'm am talking about it not being as sharp as I would have
    wanted in the center. Like this one:

    http://tinyurl.com/qbpqd4f

    There is no reason I can think of why this couldn't be sharp. It's
    either the photographer or the lens here. The Bokeh is *fantastic* but
    the subject is not anywhere near sharp enough to use for anything but
    novelty. I can accept degrees of blurriness in a feature lens like this,
    but this is over the top.

    That said, some pics taken with the lens look just fine, like this one:

    http://tinyurl.com/ng3dmbx

    It's resized, but you can see the hair on her forehead which means that
    the lens should be able to focus sharpe....ish :)

    We'll see. I'll post about it when it arrives. :)

    Sandman, Sep 16, 2013
  7. Sandman

    David Taylor Guest

    On 16/09/2013 09:13, Sandman wrote:
    []
    []

    There looks to me to be (at least) some camera shake in that image - it
    was taken at 1/80 according to the EXIF. These lenses are not image
    stabilised, something many of may take for granted these days. But even
    so, it's not so hot, is it? Might there be sample variation in these
    lenses?

    David Taylor, Sep 16, 2013
  8. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    There looks to me to be (at least) some camera shake in that image - it
    was taken at 1/80 according to the EXIF.[/QUOTE]

    Indeed, but the blurriness is hardly due only to the shutter speed. But
    then again, the image is unrealistically grainy for ISO 250. I have no
    experience with the Canon 5D and perhaps it produces grainy pics at ISO
    250?
    For a 80mm lens? They do? I don't own a single IS 80~mm lens...
    Maybe. This one was shot on august 27th, so it's a fairly recent sample.
    This is another from the same day:

    http://tinyurl.com/pfzohg5

    1/100, ISO 200, still blurry as hell.

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013
  9. Sandman

    David Taylor Guest

    Indeed, but the blurriness is hardly due only to the shutter speed. But
    then again, the image is unrealistically grainy for ISO 250. I have no
    experience with the Canon 5D and perhaps it produces grainy pics at ISO
    250?
    For a 80mm lens? They do? I don't own a single IS 80~mm lens...
    Maybe. This one was shot on august 27th, so it's a fairly recent sample.
    This is another from the same day:

    http://tinyurl.com/pfzohg5

    1/100, ISO 200, still blurry as hell.[/QUOTE]

    Let's hope you get the results you expect when yours arrives.

    BTW: most kit lenses these days (18-55 mm DX) have stabilisation, as
    does my 16-85 mm DX and 70-300 mm (used on DX format). The only non-IS
    lenses I have are the 35/1.8 Nikon DX and 10-24 Tamron.

    David Taylor, Sep 17, 2013
  10. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Let's hope you get the results you expect when yours arrives.[/QUOTE]

    i do, too! :)
    Indeed. All of those are zoom lenses, where IS is important.
    Which, like the Petzval, is a prime lens. Obviously there are fixed tele
    lenses with IS, but in the <100mm it's not really necessary. Especially
    considering that most lenses in this categories are plenty fast as is.
    Yes, few (if any?) wide zooms have IS. This is true of Nikons high-end
    14-24 wide zoom as well.

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013
  11. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/16/2013 5:57 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    The point is to make money for he manufacturer.
    The effect is easily and uncontrollably reproducible with software.

    PeterN, Sep 17, 2013
  12. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Some lenses are made to take photographers, not pictures.

    PeterN, Sep 17, 2013
  13. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    The point is to make money for he manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

    Contrary to what product on planet earth?
    Cool, could you please detail the process you use for the Petzval effect
    in software?

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013
  14. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Contrary to what product on planet earth?
    Cool, could you please detail the process you use for the Petzval effect
    in software?
    [/QUOTE]

    DxO FilmPack Creative Blur.

    Topaz In Focus

    Here is a very rough idea using just a selection, feathering and a
    radial blur. Yes, I know I did not center the sharp area, but I did not
    want to futz with it.

    PeterN, Sep 17, 2013
  15. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    I forgot the link, and did not have an image of a girl in a rowboat. But
    with some tweaking One can achieve a similar effect.

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160.jpg>

    PeterN, Sep 17, 2013
  16. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I forgot the link, and did not have an image of a girl in a rowboat. But
    with some tweaking One can achieve a similar effect.

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/savanah_0160.jpg>[/QUOTE]

    Wow. If you think that is a *similar effect* then there is nothing more
    I can say. Enjoy your "easily and uncontrollably reproducible" Petzval
    effect, Peter.

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013
  17. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    DxO FilmPack Creative Blur.[/QUOTE]

    Not sure we have the same version, I have a "Creative blur vignetting",
    I'm assuming that's the one you're talking about here.

    I'm fiddling with the settings here, you weren't very specific, but try
    as I might, I can't get it to only affect the background based on the
    depth of field in the picture. How do you do it?
    I can't find this in the filmpack at all. Is this a variable for the
    "Creative Blur" above or is a separate setting?

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013
  18. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    There is always ONE that defies the rule :)
    Sure, Macro lenses benefit from IS.
    Me neither.
    I love the bokeh on my Nikkor 85/1.4G. A good example is here:

    http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade

    The color photo at the bottom.
    Huh, never seen that in any of my IS lenses that I can remember. Here
    are some quick test shots from the 80-400mm IS-lens from Nikon:

    http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Af-s_Nikkor_80-400mm_45-56g

    While not particularly fantastic bokeh in itself, it doesn't look shaken
    or duplicated as far as I can make out.
    Portrait mostly. It's what it's for after all. I'm certain that it will
    be a great lens for video as well in certain settings.

    Sandman, Sep 18, 2013
  19. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    Wow. If you think that is a *similar effect* then there is nothing more
    I can say. Enjoy your "easily and uncontrollably reproducible" Petzval
    effect, Peter.
    [/QUOTE]

    Note I did not say that was a final effect. Only a start. Last night I
    was getting my digital images ready for our CC competition. Today and
    tomorrow I am doing my prints, and Friday through the weekend, I have
    some priority things to handle.
    Hint make a selection with a lot of feathering, then invert it. play
    with the creative blur in FilmPack, then apply a sircular swirl, or
    polar coordinate to the blur. There is no simple formula, you have to
    play until you get an effect you like. As I said, I really did not
    expect too much from the image I played with. Try using what I said.
    while it won't be exact, you will get some interesting results.

    PeterN, Sep 18, 2013
  20. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    se my resonse to Jonas.