    5D, assuming the photographer knew what he/she were doing. Again, it
    looks reasonably sharp, but not amazingly sharp. The bokeh is, again,
    amazing.

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013

  2. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    What? No, that is the one thing the Petzval does. It's a feature lens
    that has a very swirly Bokeh. Here are some shots from an original
    Petzval lens from the 19th century:

    http://tinyurl.com/oyx8np7
    http://tinyurl.com/op8evtl
    http://tinyurl.com/praxcmo
    http://tinyurl.com/qc99uw2

    All have a very swirly bokeh effect, which is why this is a desirable
    lens for portraits.
    Well, tastes differ, of course. I really like the effect, and it is
    quite hard to create in post since it accelerates with depth of field.

    It's not for everyone, of course :)

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013

  3. Sandman

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Paul J Gans, Sep 17, 2013
  4. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I assume that "19th century" is a typo. Judging by the clothing
    I'd guess that the photos are late 20th century at least.[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, I meant that the *lens* is from the 19th century, not the photos.
    It was developed in 1840 by Joseph Petzval. It was probably the fastest
    lens at the time, at a staggering f3.7, which of course made it ideal
    for portrait photography at the time. The swirly bokeh just added to the
    artistic value of the lens.

    Sandman, Sep 17, 2013