    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    This has been going on for years in variours forms:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

    Fuzzy Logic, May 28, 2004

  2. Fuzzy Logic

    ivan clough Guest

    Hi.
    Received an email from a mate of mine about one way of
    bringing petrol prices is by boycotting only BP garages.
    Until the price per gallon comes down to 67p per gallon.
    Do you chaps think this might be feasible or
    has this been doing the rounds before.
    Hope this doesn't start world war III.....
    TIA
    Ivan

    ivan clough, May 28, 2004

  3. Fuzzy Logic

    Ionizer Guest

    There are similar emails doing the rounds over here in Canada, suggesting
    that we all boycott PetroCanada stations. It won't work, because even if
    people did boycott those stations, PetroCan would respond by lowering the
    gas prices slightly, at which point everybody would rush into their
    stations to gas up- thereby driving the price right back up again.

    One suggestion I've heard which may have some merit is that we all refuse
    to buy anything at all from the convenience stores attached to the major
    gas stations. The companies invest big bucks into these stores and hope
    to reap big dividends from the high mark-up of the stuff they sell in
    those stores. If we were to all just buy our gasoline and nothing else
    from these places, the money invested in the renovations to install the
    convenience stores would be lost, and the associated oil company would be
    forced to take a second look at their business model. Ideally, they would
    decide to drop gas prices with a view to using gasoline as a "loss
    leader," in order to draw customers into their convenience stores.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, May 28, 2004
  4. Fuzzy Logic

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    It's crap.

    -= Hawk =-, May 28, 2004
  5. Fuzzy Logic

    Martik Guest

    Get an Electric car or a 200mpg scooter!

    Martik, May 28, 2004
  6. Fuzzy Logic

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    public transportation
    ride a bicycle
    carpool
    sleep at the office like japanese middle-management

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 28, 2004
  7. Fuzzy Logic

    Steven Lee Guest

    Damn. Don't sleep at the office, then they try to hit you up to do extra
    work in your Subconcious. Refer to BOFH (www.theregister.com)

    Steven Lee, May 28, 2004
  8. Fuzzy Logic

    Scottie Guest

    I once told a friend of mine that if the price of petrol ever reached
    ten-shillings (50p) a gallon I would give up driving. I think it cost about
    3/6d a gallon then (about 33p) Yeah-I'm still driving.

    Scottie, May 29, 2004
  9. Fuzzy Logic

    Bryan Guest

    Taken from:
    aly.consumers-uk.discounts.and.bargains

    This has also been discussed in the uk.rec.cars.* newsgroups. As a rule of
    thumb it seems that petrol is supplied to the petrol station from the
    nearest refinery, so BP/Esso/whoever may actually supply your local
    supermarket. Some have suggested that this is an anti-competitive cartel but
    I wouldn't know anything about that.

    Also, many petrol stations are franchises who make most of their profit
    through the shop (ever bought a loaf of bread from a 24 hour petrol
    station?) so not selling petrol may not hurt much although reduction in
    sales of the incidental stuff you buy when you go to pay for your fuel
    probably would.

    Bryan, May 29, 2004
  10. Fuzzy Logic

    Bryan Guest

    Been there, paid that price!
    :)

    Bryan, May 29, 2004
  11. Fuzzy Logic

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Why boycott one corporation, and let the others reap? Boycott all of
    them. Ride a bike to work, take the bus, walk or, if necessary, car
    pool, and gas up at a different company each time. Do not be a regular
    customer at any of the places, and do not favour a specific company
    (Texaco, Esso, etc.)

    --
    Thou shalt not admit adultry.
    : Hi.
    : Received an email from a mate of mine about one way of
    : bringing petrol prices is by boycotting only BP garages.
    : Until the price per gallon comes down to 67p per gallon.
    : Do you chaps think this might be feasible or
    : has this been doing the rounds before.
    : Hope this doesn't start world war III.....
    : TIA
    : Ivan
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

    PuppyKatt, May 29, 2004
  12. Fuzzy Logic

    Avenger© Guest

    Current prices in most Aussie states is anywhere between 95 cents AU
    (up to) A$1.08 per litre. It costs me over 50 bucks to completely fill
    my car. Oh well, there goes the Friday night case of beer and the
    large pizza :eek:))

    Avenger©, May 29, 2004
  13. Fuzzy Logic

    Bryan Guest

    $5.78 per US gallon
    :)

    Bryan, May 29, 2004
  14. Fuzzy Logic

    Bryan Guest

    Whoooops!

    $5.78 per US gallon

    Bryan, May 29, 2004
  15. Fuzzy Logic

    Agnes L. Guest

    | | > Hi.
    | > Received an email from a mate of mine about one way of
    | > bringing petrol prices is by boycotting only BP garages.
    | > Until the price per gallon comes down to 67p per gallon.
    | > Do you chaps think this might be feasible or
    | > has this been doing the rounds before.
    | > Hope this doesn't start world war III.....
    | > TIA
    | > Ivan
    |
    | There are similar emails doing the rounds over here in Canada, suggesting
    | that we all boycott PetroCanada stations. It won't work, because even if
    | people did boycott those stations, PetroCan would respond by lowering the
    | gas prices slightly, at which point everybody would rush into their
    | stations to gas up- thereby driving the price right back up again.
    |
    | One suggestion I've heard which may have some merit is that we all refuse
    | to buy anything at all from the convenience stores attached to the major
    | gas stations. The companies invest big bucks into these stores and hope
    | to reap big dividends from the high mark-up of the stuff they sell in
    | those stores. If we were to all just buy our gasoline and nothing else
    | from these places, the money invested in the renovations to install the
    | convenience stores would be lost, and the associated oil company would be
    | forced to take a second look at their business model. Ideally, they would
    | decide to drop gas prices with a view to using gasoline as a "loss
    | leader," in order to draw customers into their convenience stores.
    |
    | Regards,
    | Ian.

    The convenience store suggestion makes sense! It's my understanding
    most service stations generate most of their income from repairs, tires,
    etc. , not gas. Boycotting their stores would surely hurt their bottom line.
    Aggie

    Agnes L., May 29, 2004
  16. Fuzzy Logic

    Patty Guest

    What the hell does this have to do with this news group?
    Plonked

    Patty, May 29, 2004
  17. Fuzzy Logic

    Ionizer Guest

    What do you think this newsgroup is about?

    Ionizer, May 29, 2004
  18. Fuzzy Logic

    Agnes L. Guest

    | What the hell does this have to do with this news group?
    | Plonked

    What's the matter Patsy, fraid of losing your job pumping gas! Btw,
    haven't seen you around before. Guess it's the porn's site loss, and
    our gain! Aggie

    | > |

    Agnes L., May 29, 2004
  19. Fuzzy Logic

    Hamman Guest

    Gallon, whats a gallon?

    Bring on the 82p a litre here

    hamman

    Hamman, May 29, 2004
  20. Fuzzy Logic

    ivan clough Guest

    Thanks chaps. Lots of food for thought!!!
    Ivan

    ivan clough, May 29, 2004