Petition: Release Walt Disney's "Song of the South"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fred Goodwin, CMA, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. Petition: Release Walt Disney's "Song of the South"

    To: The Walt Disney Company

    We support the official release of Walt Disney's 1946 Classic "Song of
    the South" on DVD.

    Sincerely,

    The Undersigned

    http://www.petitiononline.com/sots1946/

    Fred Goodwin, CMA, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Dan Guest

    It's not going to happen. Too politically incorrect for this day and
    age.

    Dan, Jun 30, 2006

  3. A good reason to keep my LD player.

    Howard Brazee, Jun 30, 2006
  4. ....Geez, did some server burp these ancient geek-tition threads up from
    way back before the Iger sanction at the stockholder meeting?

    Until we know for certain What Bob Iger Knows And What He Doesn't, the
    solution is education, not fan-geekery--
    It's a matter of sitting Bob down in front of a kindergarten blackboard
    with a big pointer:

    <cartoon 'A-B-C' music in background>
    "Now, look very carefully, Bobby: This is a slave *before* the Civil
    War...This is a sharecropper, AFTER the Civil War.
    This is Hattie McDaniel...This is Clarence Muse...This is Maya Angelou.
    Now look at these two things and tell me how they're different--This is
    a Disney Classic release of 'Bambi'...But this is a Disney *Treasures*
    release of 'WWII - On the Front Lines'--Can you tell me how they're
    different?
    Sometimes people stand up in public and say 'Classic' when they mean
    'Treasures', because they think they are the same thing--But that would
    be WRONG. Can you say 'The guy at the meeting was wrong'?..."

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 30, 2006
  5. Wow, Howard, I did a double-take running into you on something other than
    RSG.

    DJJ

    Darrell Jefress, Jun 30, 2006
  6. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    salmoneous Guest

    It's not going to happen. Too politically incorrect for this day and
    Wanta bet?

    salmoneous, Jun 30, 2006

  7. It could happen. Some releases of "Dumbo" had the *Black* scene removed
    but now you can see it in it's entirety. It's one of the best scenes in
    the movie.

    I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band,
    I saw a needle that winked its eye.
    But I think I will have seen everything
    When I see an elephant fly.

    I saw a front porch swing, heard a diamond ring,
    I saw a polka-dot railroad tie.
    But I think I will have seen everything
    when I see an elephant fly.

    I seen a clothes horse, he r'ar up and buck
    And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
    I didn't see that, I only heard
    But just to be sociable I'll take your word

    I heard a fireside chat, I saw a baseball bat
    And I just laughed till I thought I'd die
    But I'd be done see'n about everything
    when I see an elephant fly.

    Dave in Toronto

    Dave in Toronto, Jun 30, 2006
  8. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Joan in GB-W Guest

    Whether or not Disney will ever release SOTS again is up for bets. Because
    I wanted to see it again (saw it the first time probably 50 years ago?????)
    I simply bought a copy on line. Yep, you can do that (but not from Disney).

    Joan

    Joan in GB-W, Jun 30, 2006
  9. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Andy Upton Guest

    Politically Incorrect ??
    What about "Snow White And The Seven Persons of Restricted Growth" ?
    LOL

    Andy Upton, Jul 1, 2006
  10. I like golf more than old movies, but they both are enjoyable
    pastimes. My other non-professional newsgroup interest is
    rec.arts.sf.written.

    Howard Brazee, Jul 1, 2006
  11. LOL!

    How about Beauty and the Aesthetically Challenged?

    Carrie
    N.O.Mommy

    Carrie Carney, Jul 1, 2006
  12. So did I (I have it both on VHS and on DVD). Still, I would prefer an
    authorized copy from Disney.

    My guess is, anyone who bought an unofficial copy would say the same
    thing, but I would not presume to speak for you.

    Fred Goodwin, CMA, Jul 1, 2006
  13. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Joan in GB-W Guest

    Agreed. The quality of my DVD is not the quality of the Disney videos
    that are out there today.

    Joan

    Joan in GB-W, Jul 1, 2006
  14. <sigh>

    -_-

    Okay--Let's try it again:

    HERE is our greatest hurdle, updated as of 2006. Please study, take
    notes, and glean all information necessary as to *actually* approach
    Disney on the subject:
    http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/wade_sampson/archive/2006/04/25/2073.aspx
    http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/03/16/771.aspx

    (As you can see, the PO fan-wank alone ain't going to accomplish all
    that jack--
    The problem lies in how to tactfully educate and enlighten an
    unresearched urban-legend-believing naif who just happens to own the
    company.)

    Derek Janssen (harder than it looks, ain't it?)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 1, 2006
  15. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Phisherman Guest

    I have "Song of the South" in my Netflix "Saved" queue which means it
    can be released next month, in some years, or not at all. I've only
    seen parts of this movie, but I'd like to see it in its entirety. So
    does this mean if I can find the movie that it is underground or
    pirated?
    :(

    Phisherman, Jul 2, 2006
  16. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Mr. Moe Guest

    If they are going to halt release of "Song Of The South" because of
    certain possibly offensive parts, why did they release "Dumbo"? The
    black crows singing to Dumbo are most certainly "Black" crows,
    speaking and acting "Black". Release the damn movie. I already own a
    boot copy of it.

    Mr. Moe, Jul 2, 2006
  17. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    MrBuddwing Guest

    When I got ahold of the Japanese laserdisc of SOTS, I was surprised,
    then not really surprised, to discover that the print Disney used for
    the transfer was not top quality - instead of making a new print from
    the original negative, it's as though they grabbed the first copy out
    of the vault and threw it onto the telecine machine.

    When I realized that the whole thing was a slop job - a cynical attempt
    at making a few bucks from the overseas market without bothering to
    make a definitive home video - that's when I stopped being surprised.

    MrBuddwing, Jul 2, 2006
  18. Fred Goodwin, CMA

    Netmask Guest

    Whilst going through my old program guides I found a long forgotten "Song Of
    The South" official 8 page colour program that my mother bought for me when
    we saw it so many years ago. My mum was a musician and played Wurlitzer at a
    Sydney theatre so it wasn't long before Zip A Dee Doo Dah was thundering
    out.

    It should be re-released, I do think modern audiences will understand the
    historical perspective of the times. I recently saw an early Australian
    movie from the 1940's "The Overlanders" that also had an unfortunate turn of
    phrase referred to 'a gallant band of 5000 whites' in those days we didn't
    even count the Aboriginal people in the census - it took a constitutional
    amendment to change that position, not an easy thing to do in Australia - a
    majority of votes across the nation and a majority in a majority of the
    States!! Anyway we found our conscience and it had a 90% support. People
    change.

    Netmask, Jul 2, 2006
  19. 'Gone with the Wind' was on AMC last night, and I saw most of it.

    It struck me that the depiction of blacks in SotS couldn't be any more
    offensive than what's in GwtW (although I'll admit I never saw all of
    'Song'). I think if people can handle GwtW, they can handle SotS!

    Susan Bartholomew, Jul 2, 2006
  20. I watched it too! I think the "making of" is on tonight. I agree that GwtW
    is much harsher than Song of the South. I suppose because it would most
    likely be perceived as a children's movie, SotS might be more controversial.

    Carrie
    N.O.Mommy

    Carrie Carney, Jul 3, 2006