Petition: Paul Schrader's The Exorcist The Beginning - Please sign

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    Hello,

    I have created a petition here requesting the release of Paul Schrader's
    version of The Exorcist: The Beginning on DVD.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/exorcist/petition.html

    This petition is a request to Warner to release Paul Schrader's director's
    cut version on DVD, when eventually the theatrical version is released. The
    text of the petition is as follows:

    To: Time-Warner

    In August 2003, film director Mr Paul Schrader delivered a "Directors' Cut"
    of the film "The Exorcist: The Beginning" to film production company Morgan
    Creek. However, due to substantial creative differences, Mr Schrader's cut
    was summarily rejected, and a few months later led to his departure from the
    film.

    We the under signed call upon Time Warner, when releasing this film on DVD,
    to issue a two disc special edition, featuring both the theatrical release
    of the film, but also a second disc featuring Mr Schrader's original and
    unedited "Director's Cut".

    It would seem that the major disagreement between Mr Schrader, and Morgan
    Creek was that effectively two very different films were in mind during the
    production phase. Perhaps best defined as a horror film, compared to a
    psychological thriller. However thanks to DVD there is an opportunity to
    satisfy a broad range of fans of the original films, as well as admirers of
    Mr Schrader's work. For those persons interested in Mr Schrader's career,
    the opportunity to purchase his "Directors' Cut" would be a valuable
    compliment to the theatrical release of the film.

    Sincerely,

    The Undersigned

    If you agree with this petition please sign it.

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Simon Howson

    WKC Guest

    I signed it, but is there really a hope in hell. Unintentional pun.

    WKC.

    WKC, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    Thanks :-D

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Simon Howson

    melodium Guest

    maybe it really was a load of crap ! who knows...

    melodium, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Simon Howson

    GDS Guest

    The last time I signed an online petition I was receiving 20 spam's per day
    within a month!

    To the novice DO NOT SIGN!!

    G.

    GDS, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    There is an option to select whether your email address is hidden, or
    remains public. If you are worried about SPAM select the hidden/private
    option. I started the petition and I have not received a single piece of
    spam.

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    I don't know, I haven't seen it ;-D

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Simon Howson

    WKC Guest

    Your email isn't displayed unless you select an option to show it. Perhaps
    this is what you did? Just guessing...

    WKC.

    WKC, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Simon Howson

    Paul Guest

    You don't need to give a real e-mail address. I didn't.

    Paul, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Simon Howson

    Luke Hooft Guest

    I signed it too. I'd really like to see Schrader's version. Harlin's is
    basically 90% reshoots... in other words a completely different movie. Makes
    you wonder why the let schrader go ahead with the script (which the studio
    must have approved before shooting). Harlin's movie *may* be all right, but
    I doubt it would be as good as Schrader's.

    I too believe there's not much chance of seeing Schrader's version though.
    With DVD anything's possible but I really don't think Warner would want to
    publicise what a huge mess this movie's production was by releasing both
    versions.

    LH

    Luke Hooft, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Simon Howson

    Simon Howson Guest

    Sadly I agree. As stupid as it sounds I just felt frustrated that one of my
    favourite film makers had the CHANCE to work on a big studio project that
    suited him, yet we will probably never get to see the results. Hence I
    created the petition.

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Feb 13, 2004
  12. Simon Howson

    WKC Guest

    eventually we may get an alien 3 type result... who knows. When they see
    the chance for $$$$$$, and reinspiring fan interest.

    WKC.

    WKC, Feb 13, 2004
  13. Simon Howson

    GDS Guest

    You don't need to give a real e-mail address. I didn't.

    And that was my newbee mistake, live and learn.

    To the above posters, I did choose private email, obviously.

    Like Paul said though, I should'a used a fake email addy.

    G.

    GDS, Feb 13, 2004
  14. Simon Howson

    GDS Guest

    eventually we may get an alien 3 type result... who knows. When they see
    Too true, HD-DVD in a few years maybe?

    G.

    GDS, Feb 13, 2004
  15. I read a report saying that Schrader's version wasn't scary at all, had
    little to do with actual exorcism, and he was just doing it to collect a
    paycheck....

    Rebel without a Kenton, Feb 13, 2004
  16. How many horror movies has he been involved with ?

    Rebel without a Kenton, Feb 13, 2004
  17. Simon Howson

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Cat People comes to mind.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 14, 2004
  18. Simon Howson

    WKC Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <[email protected]
    To me The Excorcist is so much more than a 'horror' movie. It is a very
    spiritual/psychlogical story, and the best director is not necesarilly a
    director of traditional horror flics.

    WKC.

    WKC, Feb 14, 2004
  19. Simon Howson

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Watch your attributions, please. I didn't write the line you quote me
    with.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 14, 2004
  20. Simon Howson

    Paul Guest

    Yep. :) NEVER give a real e-mail address to anyone, unless you
    absolutely have to. And even then, create a new Hotmail address
    and use that instead. Keep your real e-mail address for friends
    and family ONLY.

    Paul, Feb 14, 2004