People don't like being surveilled

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 15, 2014.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 15, 2014

  2. RichA

    Rikishi42 Guest

    Yeah, she looks like a bit of a 'tard.

    But then so does he, actually... "Help, I'm beeing assaulted!" ? Really? How
    much more fake can you be?

    He sould have packed it in when she complained. There's a time where's it's
    not about the law anymore, but about respect for others. Wouldn't wanna
    have that noisy thing overhead, myself. Especially on a beach. We might
    know/believe that the people in his vids are going to be very small, but not everyone
    does. Most people would freak out.

    Seeing that drone, there's one thing I would like: a law forcing the
    propellors of those things to be behind some kind of protection. Just in
    case of a crash, or some looser flying it in a crowd. Maybe a net/grid over
    it, maybe a cylinder around it.

    Rikishi42, Jun 16, 2014

  3. Per Rikishi42:
    My take is that's going to be a major issue if/when drones are used
    more. Sort of like jet-skis in the air.

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 16, 2014
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I wonder what that thing cost the police? I caught one (on camera) the other day, it was pretty high up. Apart from the cameras, I don't see the bigdeal with these things, they are no more sophisticated as far as I can seeas the old radio-controlled planes and helicopters.

    RichA, Jun 17, 2014
  5. RichA

    Me Guest

    If someone was annoying/harassing me with a drone, I'd do what I could
    to take the stupid thing out of the sky.
    I don't know what current regulations are, but there is some guideline
    based on maximum weight (20kg?). But I expect a 19kg drone might not be
    good sucked in to a jet engine intake or through the windscreen of a
    Cessna. People do stupid things - there have been enough instances here
    (NZ) of idiots shining laser pointers in the eyes of pilots. Give those
    idiots drones, and they will do dumb things with them.
    Conversely, with existing regulations, I was watching a documentary
    where they were trialling drones for marine SAR. As they were much
    cheaper to deploy than helicopters, (let alone a Orion), and had quite
    good range, they'd probably get deployed sooner rather than later in
    case of a suspected incident. But as I understood from the documentary,
    those drones had to be kept in sight by the operator, defeating the main
    advantage.
    When technology is advancing quickly, there's a problem with regulation
    keeping up.

    Me, Jun 17, 2014
  6. RichA

    Me Guest

    Something I have very mixed feelings about. It's great that Uncle Sam
    has a technical lead, and I don't have too many qualms about them taking
    out terrorist cells with no risk to US troops - and probably better
    precision than older conventional methods hence less "collateral damage".
    However, others will catch up, make and sell these devices to the
    highest bidder. They will inevitably end up being used against civilian
    targets. A sci-fi nightmare is coming.

    Me, Jun 17, 2014
  7. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/14/opinion/yemen-drone-strikes-reprieve/

    Some get a bit pissed off.

    I think we all should be allowed to own them just like in some contries allow guns. Just give me a few forms to sign so I can have my own drone.
    We've had one in my lab this year and we insited that the propellors were protected to minimise accidents. We also made sure the studetn had a clue, as we questioned him about short circuiting the battery (11.1V) which is capable of suppying over 400amps.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2014
  8. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    The thing about long-range drones is that for acts of terrorism they
    offer no benefits over a cruise missile. The advantage of a drone is
    not that it is more capable, than a missile, it is that it is reusable
    and thus cheaper to operate in the long term.

    So far no terrorists have managed to come up with cruise missiles and
    that when you get down to it is WWII technology.
    Archaic spelling of "gun".

    J. Clarke, Jun 17, 2014