    specific information on this subject.

    Any opinion or ideas welcome!

    Fred

    ff, Oct 13, 2005

  2. ff

    Robert Baer Guest

    I am no longer familiar with those motherboards, but this is what you
    look for to determine electrical compatibility.
    Look at the present setup, and see what kind of power connector there
    is from the power supply to the motherboard: an AT type supply and
    motherboard will have twin in-line single row (of wires) connectors, and
    the newer ATX type supply and motherboard will have one dual-row
    connector (which i think both use).
    One cannot mix those types unless one gets a "special" motherboard
    that supports both types of supplies (such beasties existed for a while
    during the transition).

    Robert Baer, Oct 14, 2005

  3. ff

    bmoag Guest

    No.
    At some point Dell switched to proprietary power supplies so generic ATX
    motherboards will not work.
    Realize the PIII went through a series of CPU packagings that require
    specific motherboards, if they can even be found.
    Also there is no point in upgrading older to old technology unless you have
    the parts laying around and want to experiment.
    If your system still performs adequately for word processing or whatever
    just ride it until it dies.

    bmoag, Oct 14, 2005
  4. ff

    ff Guest

    I'm looking at buying a Dell PIII motherboard on ebay. They are really
    cheap so I could experiment with it whether it works or not. The board
    I have now has the Xeon PII running at 450 MHz which is actually
    adequate for most software except for the very latest games. I checked
    the psu connector like Robert wrote and it is the two row connector so
    it may be a plug and play connection. I like the Dell precision
    case---lots of heavy metal and easy to work on.
    If it works I'll post my results.

    Fred

    ff, Oct 14, 2005
  5. ff

    Robert Baer Guest

    A two row power connector has nothing to do with "plug and play".
    Only the BIOS and OS support such "features".

    Robert Baer, Oct 15, 2005
  6. ff

    ff Guest

    Sorry. My use of the phrase "plug and play" was not intended to mean the
    same as Microsoft's "Plug and Play" catch phrase. I know that they use
    it to refer to peripheral devices which are recognized by the operating
    system when connected to the serial, parallel, USB or PMCIA ports. I was
    intending to inject a little levity by stretching the meaning of the
    phrase to include the main board itself.

    ff, Oct 15, 2005
  7. ff

    Robert Baer Guest

    In that case, stretch slightly more and say "plug and pray".

    Robert Baer, Oct 16, 2005