    1.5 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz depending on BIOS settings.
    The MB manual says it can use 3 Ghz + and that it should set the
    clock speed automatically.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 13, 2009

  2. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    What is the mobo?

    Mike Easter, Jul 13, 2009

  3. Barry OGrady

    why? Guest

    No pattern, 2.4Ghz -> 2.4Ghz here?
    What motherboard manual?
    And the speeds it can set automatically / per processor are?

    Me

    why?, Jul 13, 2009
  4. So obviously it didnt. Might be a jumper setting or a BIOS setting you didnt
    discover, yet.

    Keep digging.
    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 13, 2009
  5. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    ECS Elitegroup 651-M.

    I should do a search on that MB.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  6. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    From Celeron to Pentium both at 2.4 Ghz.
    ECS Elitegroup 651-M.
    The manual says;
    The motherboard uses a micro PGA 478-pin socket that has
    the following features;

    Supports 400/533 Mhz frontside bus
    Accomodates Pentium 4 processors at 1.5G/1.6G/1.7G
    ...3.06G and above

    There is no Mhz setting in the BIOS although it does allow
    CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI clock to be set up to
    133/166/33 at which the CPU is reported as 2.0 Ghz.

    The manual says there should be a multiplier setting which is
    CPU dependant. That setting does not show.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  7. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I'll look into that.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  8. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I could look into updating the BIOS.
    Is it possible the P4 I have is too 'new' for the motherboard?
    I will.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  9. Barry OGrady

    Guest

    I have a bios jumper that if I change from 1-2 to 2-3 I'm taken into a
    setup mode. My setup is basically just to reset passwords, but you
    might have more useful options: like changing clock speeds :)

    , Jul 14, 2009
  10. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    At this url
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/651M-V_(MS-7005v2.0).html
    it says my CPU is not supported on my MB, so that may be that.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  11. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    That's not the correct page at that site for your mobo. That is a MSI
    (with a similar number) mobo page.

    Your ECS 651-M mobo is on another page there.
    651-M(V2.0) - Chipset: SiS 651B0 & 962L - CPU socket type: Socket 478

    If you are v1, that is here
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/651-M(V1.0).html

    Also, you shouldn't be commenting there if you are reading the wrong
    page. I suggest you add a comment to uncomment (or rather 'revise and
    amend') your (previous) comment.

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  12. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Neither of those sites mention my CPU so it looks like its still
    incompatible.
    Interestingly the MSI MB will not work with 800 Mhz FSB
    processors and my CPU is 800 Mhz.
    No 800 Mhz FSB or > 3 Ghz CPUs are shown for the ECS MBs.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 14, 2009
  13. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    Nor is that 800 freq supported in the mobo manual - 533 max

    <page 2 Features>
    Processor
    The motherboard uses a mPGA 478-pin socket that has the
    following features:
    .. Accommodates Intel P4 Prescott processors
    .. Supports up to a 533/400 MHz front side bus (FSB)
    .. Supports "Hyper-Threading" technology CPU
    Chipset The SiS651 Northbridge and SiS962/SiS962L Southbridge
    chipsets are based on an innovative and scalable architecture
    with proven reliability and performance.
    .. Support Intel Pentium 4 series CPU with data transfer
    rate of 533/400MHz
    </page 2>

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  14. Mike Easter <> pinched out a steaming pile
    Nice catch Mikey...looks like someone needs to get their money back
    from whatever store sold them a CPU that wasnt compatible with their
    mobo :)

    If they're lucky...

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 14, 2009
  15. Barry OGrady

    Mike Easter Guest

    A merchant isn't (necessarily) responsible for a customer buying a wrong
    part - depending on how the purchase process was accomplished.

    Let's say it was 'face to face'. (If) The customer sez, "I want a
    genuine P4 for my ECS 651-M mobo instead of this celery."

    Then, the merchant is/ could be (if he takes on that task) responsible
    for providing the appropriate cpu upon ascertaining the customer's
    designated target hardware.

    But, if the customer sez, "I want this cpu right here."

    .... then the merchant is only responsible for providing the cpu which was
    ordered in working condition.

    Merchants don't like much to take back cpu/s - maybe they were
    overclocked or their pins bent or wrong voltaged or run hot or otherwise
    damaged.

    Mike Easter, Jul 14, 2009
  16. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    In this case the fault is entirely mine. The online auction site offered no
    guarantees.

    At least I know the CPU works.

    Barry
    =====