    are the pics underwater?
    Please post.
    Mike

    mike, Apr 26, 2004

  2. mike

    R2D2 Guest

    (mike) wrote in
    Why the double post? Didn't you already post this?

    R2D2, Apr 26, 2004

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Yes, When I viewed the site I didn't see my first post and thought it
    had not registered. Do you know anything about the Pentax S4i?
    Mike

    mike, Apr 27, 2004
  4. mike

    R2D2 Guest

    (mike) wrote in
    Sorry. Didn't mean to sound rude. I have used the Optio S, and the S4, but
    not the S4i yet. It is too new. The S and the S4 are great for the size and
    weight....better than the Minolta X* series and the Casio Xslims as far as
    image quality goes.

    R2D2, Apr 27, 2004
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    Thanks,
    Its certainly encouraging that you rate the Pentax Optio range.
    Unfortunately the S4i is just too new to get a user review yet. I'm
    especially interested in underwater quality. I don't want to commit to
    buy until I hear from owners that it is as good as the manufacturers
    claim, but like you, users of other pentax optio cameras are generally
    enthusiastic which gives me hope the S4i is going to be a good buy.
    Mike

    mike, Apr 27, 2004
  6. << I am reading great reports about the Pentax S4i with its special
    Pentax underwater housing and 'Marine' mode to help blue colours
    properly reproduce. >>

    Mike-

    I thought you might be trolling, but sure enough there is a Waterproof case
    O-WP2 listed in the manual as an optional accessory.

    Do you know for a fact that case is available? I found that the Camera case
    O-CC8 was never imported into the U.S. Instead, Pentax sells the PTX-L40
    Leather Case that fits the Optio S/S4/S4i like a glove.

    I haven't made up my mind yet about the S4i's sharpness compared to the Optio
    S. I'm still finding out about things like how to set the camera for best
    resolution, how to disable the digital zoom, and how to keep those settings
    from reverting when you turn the camera off. Pictures taken so far haven't
    been as good as those taken with the S, but I found the settings weren't the
    way I wanted them either. One thing for sure, the S4i has noticeably shorter
    delay than the Optio S, although it still isn't as fast as I would like.

    Where have you been reading the "great reports" about the underwater housing?
    Perhaps that would be the place to get more information. I see that the S4i
    Operating Manual has the Marine and Marine Moving Picture Modes described on
    pages 53 and 54. If you can download an Acrobat .PDF copy of the manual from
    the Pentax web site, it may help answer some of your questions.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 29, 2004
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    I thought you might be trolling, but sure enough there is a Waterproof case
    Hi Fred,
    I am based in the UK where the Optio S4i has just been released and I
    have been told by my local Pentax agent that Pentax do a housing for
    the S4i but did not make one for the Optio S4.
    I do not know much about cameras but as soon as I hear favourable
    reports about the S4i's quality underwater, I'll buy it as I want a
    small compact for both above and below the waves. I would love to hear
    the settings you find best as I'm probably not knowledgable enought o
    find out for myself.
    I've read the user reports at dpreview(only 6 of them) and Pentax's
    own website which notes the 'marine' setting...but they are obviously
    going to post positive views
    Cheers Fred, thanks for your advice.
    Mike

    mike, Apr 29, 2004