Pentax Optio 555 and alternatives

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Lamb, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Mark Lamb

    Mark Lamb Guest

    I'm looking for a quality digital compact with good zoom range and
    manual modes. I'd like to be able to experiment with macro shots. 3
    MegaPixels is probably a high enough resolution. I'm not an expert
    photographer but have quite a few years' experience with an old Olympus
    OM10. It needs to be small as the reason I'm not using the OM10 much
    these days is because it's just too big to carry around. I'm in the UK,
    FWIW.

    So far, the Pentax Optio 555 seems to be favourite - it has x5 zoom and
    seems to get very good reviews. Other possible contenders are the Sony
    DSC-V1 and the Canon Powershot S50.

    As far as I can tell, these are the relative merits:

    Pentax Optio 555:
    + zoom, focusing distance (<1"), manual modes
    - low light focusing was mentioned in one review

    Sony DSC-V1:
    + low light focusing
    - physical size, zoom shorter

    Canon S50:
    + ?
    - physical size, getting a bit old?, zoom shorter

    Does anyone have any comments on these cameras? Are there any others I
    should consider?

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark Lamb, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Mark Lamb

    Phil Guest

    If (a) you are considering the Optio 555 and (b) you think 3Mpix is
    enough, why have you not put the Optio 450 on your short list?

    I love this sturdy little camera which has 35-187.5mm and a subperb
    macro facility. The 4Mpix is more than adequate for excellent 8x10in
    prints.

    Phil

    Phil, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Mark Lamb

    High Sierra Guest

    I would also recommend the Pentax Optio 450. Great little camera, good battery
    life. Takes excellent pictures.

    High Sierra, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Mark Lamb

    John Guest

    Had an Optio 550 for a short while before I got my money back - had high
    picture noise in low light and vignetting (dark corners) at normal (wide)
    angle. Bought a Traveler DC5300 from Aldi for nearly half the price and
    supplied with 128MB SD card - no noise, no vignetting, superb pictures
    (5mpx) though only 3x optical zoom but good enough.

    John, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Mark Lamb

    Mark Lamb Guest

    Phil wrote:

    [snip]
    Interesting... it didn't seem to feature in any of the magazines I
    bought so I didn't know about it. It is still available but you have to
    look a bit harder. I'll try to find out how it compares to the 555.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark Lamb, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Mark Lamb

    Jeff Guest

    I have had an Optio 555 (my 4th digital camera) now for a couple months and
    so far love it. Many features for the size of the camera and the bigger zoom
    helps. It's also nice to be able to fit it in my pocket when I'm not using
    it. I used it over the weekend at an indoor ceremony and was very impressed
    with the photos that came out, although a few needed touching up in software
    but I don't think you'll find any camera that produces photos that never
    need touching up. So far I'm glad I made the choice.
    Jeff

    Jeff, Apr 23, 2004