    please correct me. How much improvement does that bring, if any?
    The low price on these cameras, together with the overall kit lens
    optics, construction and handling quality makes my wish gland drool.

    mirceaar, Sep 13, 2006

  2. mirceaar

    Pete D Guest

    I have only done a few ten minute exposures but on my DS (and it should be
    similar) the DFS works quite well. I did some testing in a dark room and had
    some flare particularly at the edges that was dealt with apparently quite
    nicely by the DFS. Probably fairly similar to the Nikons with DFS.

    Pete D, Sep 13, 2006

  3. mirceaar

    atasselli Guest

    High ISO is useless in any DSLR for astrowork. As for reports
    unfortunately I know of no one.
    I bet they're better than the *ist (far too noisy) and probably with
    more noise than the D50.
    They're not, except maybe the Da.
    Is not about the dark frame but rather about median filtering. Besides,
    it can be automated.
    Difficult to say without knowing exactly what it is supposed to do and
    what effectively does, isn't it?
    If you're happy with QE at best 2x of high end film than yeah,
    otherwise yawn..

    Andrea T.

    atasselli, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Note followup.

    Of noise and such in digital cameras for astrophotography:
    Would you care to elaborate on that? I expect to make that decision in
    the medium term. I have a certain amount of Nikon glass and no Canon
    anything. If a Nikon D-80 lets me get reasonably close to a Digital
    Rebel XT I will be a happy camper.
    How is it automated? A pointer to some information would be fine.

    Question for mirceaar:
    May I ask where you got that information? It would be of considerable
    interest to me to be able to follow-up on it.

    - Shankar

    Shankar Bhattacharyya, Oct 16, 2006