    make a very good, compact low-light camera, coupled to a fast lens.
    Pity the 35mm f2.0 was discontinued and remaining samples are very
    expensive.

    RichA, Feb 28, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    The Canon EOS 7D and Nikon D300s are way ahead of the K-7 for low
    noise at high ISOs. The Nikon D300 has fewer pixels than the K-7 but
    the Canon EOS 7D has more.

    (Please don't be picky, excluding Canon because of the 1.6X sensor!)

    Most of the formerly excellent Pentax lens range has gone. The few
    that remain have been swamped by average optics made by Tokina,
    another member of the same Hoya Group as Pentax. Those are all
    available for other brands of DSLR, so why buy a Pentax DSLR?

    I suspect that Pentax DSLRs will not be around much longer.

    Bruce, Feb 28, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    True, but this entry level thing is better than the K7. The Nikon
    D5000 is notably better than the warmed over D300s (I've got the D300
    now) and the K-X is better than the D5000.
    Could be.

    RichA, Feb 28, 2010
  4. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Wishing doesn't make it so.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 28, 2010
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Better in terms of image quality. Read what the owners say in the
    Pentax forum on Dpreview. However, there is one apparently serious
    drawback, it has suffered from some kind of mirror-slap/I.S. failure
    at certain shutter speeds. The cause seems inconclusive, but
    something is wrong with some of them.

    RichA, Feb 28, 2010
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that doesn't mean anything. owners of every camera think their choice
    is the best, otherwise they wouldn't have bought it.

    Guest, Feb 28, 2010
  7. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Wishing doesn't make it so.
    Why? Do you think that biased reporters who have not done detailed
    and objective tests are credible?

    Ray Fischer, Feb 28, 2010
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    No, I think the owners and Dpreview's both show the sensor is top
    notch.

    RichA, Mar 1, 2010
  9. RichA

    Peabody Guest

    The DPReview review of the K-X was glowing in its praise.
    For $520 at Amazon for the camera with kit lens, you get
    live view, video, and in-camera HDR. And they said there's
    no better low-light performance this side of full frame.
    That's quite a statement if it really means it's as good as
    the 7D at three times the price.

    Well, of course it's not as good as the 7D in many respects,
    but on paper it does seem to be an excellent value for the
    money, particularly in low light.

    But everyone has these nagging doubts about Pentax being
    able to successfully compete with the big guys.

    Peabody, Mar 1, 2010
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I just compared the images from it (400 - 3200 ISO) and it does have a
    decided edge on the K7 sensor output when it comes to noise control
    and detail retention. Pentax has done a good job.

    RichA, Mar 1, 2010
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Too bad that a camera isn't a sensor and that image quality in general
    falls short. Also also remember that you say that DPReview is biased.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 1, 2010
  12. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Nope.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 1, 2010
  13. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Or, Pentax has done a bad job with the K-7.

    Bruce, Mar 1, 2010
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I also said, look at the tests, and they point out the camera produces
    good images.

    RichA, Mar 1, 2010
  15. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    The tests that reveals the camera's shortcomings.
    In some situations.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 2, 2010
  16. RichA

    RichA Guest

    My interest is primarily for mostly static image shots requiring
    decent low light performance and some portability from the camera. My
    D300 can do the shots, but isn't very portable. My G1 is very
    portable, but poor at high ISO. At this point, it appears that apart
    from FF (all larger cameras), the Pentax produces the best low light
    shots.

    RichA, Mar 2, 2010
  17. RichA

    SMS Guest

    I'd avoid all products from the Hoya Group, just on moral grounds, after
    what they are trying to pull with Hoya filter pricing.

    SMS, Mar 2, 2010
  18. Pentax is owned by Hoya, Tokina is not. Tokina is not a member of the Hoya
    group, just a customer.

    Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 2, 2010
  19. RichA

    stephe_k Guest

    Nice one. Maybe one day people will figure this out. :)

    What's most amazing to me is the lengths they will go to defending their
    purchase decisions and to beat down the one they didn't choose. I've
    shot with most of the major brands and as long as you don't have a
    really crappy lens attached, they all make nice prints. Even a couple of
    generations old ones will. Unless you are such a crappy photographer
    you have to try to make a 16X20 print from 1/4 of the frame or find a
    need to shoot at ISO 6400+. Then maybe some models work better than others.

    Stephanie

    stephe_k, Mar 3, 2010
  20. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Sometimes true, in this case, wrong. A few of them own the K7 and the
    K-X and find the K-X to be better. That's why they wish the K7 had
    the K-X sensor. Get it?

    RichA, Mar 3, 2010