    I'm using a Sigma 18-50mm lens with an UV filter:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/380057249/380058790GpiJiI

    Did any of you Pentax *ist DS users modify the default settings?

    Hoshisato, Aug 5, 2005

  2. Hoshisato

    GlynM Guest

    I've had a similar experience with my recently aquired DS. At a bus rally,
    in bright sunlight, red double dekkers came out very over saturated.

    I've now set the image tone from the default "Bright" to "Natural" but be
    aware that auto picture mode always uses bright.

    My DS also tends to under expose and the contrast seems to be very high in
    bright sunlight. I've turned on the historgram display to check the exposure
    and tend to run with some +EV and am now much more choosy with the metering
    modes.

    I've only just moved up from a compact (Canon S1 IS) and am enjoying being
    on the DSLR learning curve although I do miss the anti-shake.

    Glyn

    GlynM, Aug 5, 2005

  3. Hoshisato

    Guest Guest

    : Did any of you Pentax *ist DS users modify the default settings?

    I shoot RAW exclusively, and generally +0.5 to +1.0 EV. "Expose to the right"
    will minimize the noise... just don't let the highlights blow out. RAW lets you get
    *ALL* the picture information captured and doesn't screw you when you accidentally
    have the white balance set to something wrong. You don't need WB in the camera when
    shooting RAW.

    ... but I also turned all the in-camera picture settings to minimal. I use
    the low-quality JPEG embedded in the RAW as a quick proof on the computer, so the
    settings affect that.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Hoshisato

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    There's the 'image tone' setting, which is basically a saturation
    setting, and there's also a 'saturation' setting, which you can turn up
    or down as desired.

    Someone else mentioned shooting RAW, which lets you control the
    saturation in post-processing, but this may not be something you want to
    spend the time doing.

    Paul Mitchum, Aug 5, 2005