  1. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    why get it if 1500 gets you the 10D?

    Hugo Drax, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Some people have enough KAF glass to make a 10D and lenses an unrealistic
    buy. Oh, and Pentax actually have some nice lenses it their lineup, unlike
    Canon.
    ;-)

    Martin Francis, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Some people have enough KAF glass to make a 10D and lenses an unrealistic
    Yeah, I remember when I had my first beer.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Hugo Drax

    Bryce Guest

    I think I drank it out of a pentax lens? or was I crapping at the time. I
    don't remember.

    Bryce, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Hugo Drax

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Well first of all, if you have a big investment in Pentax lenses

    Then:
    The Pentax has a much better viewfinder
    Great multiple power supply options
    Smaller size and lower weight

    Don't know about image quality but since it used the same CCD as the
    Nikon D100 it's probably going to be very close.

    If I had a big collection of Canon lenses I'd buy the Canon. I have lots
    of expensive Pentax glass so I'll be getting the Pentax.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Hugo Drax

    Lisa Horton Guest

    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think there may be
    a fair number of people with KA glass who might be interested in a DSLR
    as well. Both groups represent a previously untapped market for
    DSLR's.

    I speculate that Pentax will end up lowering the price to $1500 or so
    before long if they want any of the "new to SLR's" action.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Hugo Drax

    MJ Guest

    I was hanging on for the *istD until it was supposed to have come out
    earlier in the year. Then they announced (another?) delay and I
    thought to hell with them and got a 10D because I had a good holiday
    coming up. I've had a Pentax SFX for years and only 3 fairly average
    lenses, so no great loss of investment. What put me off finally was
    when I looked at a camera site for a Sigma 15-30 Pentax fit and saw
    there wasn't one. This reminded me of when I first bought my SFX and
    wanted a Cobra flash for it. They didn't do one for Pentax and it was
    the best part of a year before they did. It was then that I found out
    how little support there was for Pentax. The other big names - Nikon,
    Minolta, Canon, no problem. But third party stuff for Pentax was very
    sparse and slow to come. At the time I said I wouldn't bother with
    them again. If the *istD had been out on time I may have considered
    it, but they blew it with the delay.

    MJ

    MJ, Sep 4, 2003
  8. The post I was going to type began "Anyway, since when did the SRP and
    street price of a digital camera match?", but at least one instance comes to
    mind with a certain highly thought-of Canon. I mean, the SRP of the Sigma is
    a lot higher than the average retailer's price simply because, in this
    country at least, it don't sell.

    But I have to agree that the EOS 300D may well cause a massive rethink
    for other brand's pricing structure.

    Martin Francis, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Isn't it odd how defensive people get when their big investments come
    under fire?
    Notice you snipped the smiley face.

    Martin Francis, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Hugo Drax

    Lisa Horton Guest

    I don't follow these things *that* closely, but it was my impression
    that the D30, D60 both kept pretty close to SRP until right at the end
    of their model life. The 10D continues at or close to SRP. But IIRC,
    the same is basically true of the Nikon D100.
    With the limitations of the 300D, I would think that Pentax would
    consider the *st D to be competitive with the 10D rather than the 300D.
    So I don't think they need to match the 300D, but I do think they need
    to match the 10D to grab the specific "new to SLR" market.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 5, 2003
  11. Hugo Drax

    John Guest

    Read the new test reviews of the 300D. A very nice camera but stripped down
    and some corners cut. The competitor to the Pentax is the 10D, not the
    digital Rebel.

    John, Sep 5, 2003
  12. Hugo Drax

    John Guest

    If the digital Rebel serves your needs, go for it, the image quality is
    great. But it is not in the same category as the 10D or the Pentax. I like
    both my film-based Rebel and EOS-1v but there is a HUGE difference between
    those two that can't be ignored. Be sure you compare apples with apples.

    John, Sep 5, 2003
  13. Hugo Drax

    JPS Guest

    In message <bj88v7$g3av9$-berlin.de>,
    If 1500 is not a lot to you, and you have Pentax Lenses and accessories,
    and little patience, you buy it right away. Then, later on, they drop
    the price a bit, and more people with Pentax lenses and accessories buy
    it.

    JPS, Sep 5, 2003
  14. Hugo Drax

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Eventually. But not with this camera. The *ist-D is a competitor for the
    10D. There's no doubt that Pentax (and everyone else) will have to build
    a stripped-down DSLR to compete with the 300D eventually, but that
    doesn't mean re-pricing their higher-end cameras to try to compete with
    the bottom-dollar Canon. That would be business suicide.

    BTW: The $1500 price at retail level will probably come down after a few
    months if Pentax can keep up with the demand and there's stock
    available.

    Mark Roberts, Sep 5, 2003
  15. Hugo Drax

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Here's a few bits of an email I received from a friend (and
    experienced Nikon D1x user) who recently got to try out the Pentax:

    "A week ago I got a call from my dealer letting me know the Pentax rep
    was going to be in town and he would have the DSLR.

    "I walked and in and was warmly greeted by the rep. He pulled out the
    *istD and proceeded to talk me through it. As much as I was paying
    attention, I could not help but notice that it was a very easy camera
    to grab and use. There were not a lot of things hidden in menus and
    such. This was commented on by the clerk too - so much easier to
    explain to buyers.

    "Everyone has commented on its size. I can honestly see myself carting
    it around with an LX or two or maybe an MZ-S or MX in a fanny pack
    with no problems at all.

    "I truly enjoyed the white balance being readily available. I have it
    set to the button on the back of the Optio S. Whenever I used the D1X
    or H I always had to familiarize myself to where I could access it or
    see if the photographer had put it elsewhere. I like the ability to
    easily scroll through all the selections. And having the manual white
    balance on the front makes a lot of sense.

    "The inclusion of a flash, like on the MZ-S, is key. I don't use flash
    much, but when needed it is great to have it on hand. Rather than
    having to tote one. Don't get me wrong, I use both shoe-mounted and
    handle-mounted flashes when I need to, but having one on the camera
    has been useful many a time for me.

    "Great viewfinder!!!! On a par with the MZ-S. I still like my LX -
    with
    appropriate screen - but I cannot talk badly on the *istD.

    "The sales clerks were raving about the *ist's focusing speed and
    focus
    points. They feel the *istD is leaps and bounds ahead of the D100 and
    he
    mentioned one of the Canon EOS something-or-other coming close. They
    are
    having trouble keeping the *ist on the shelf. The *istD is fast! I
    still
    enjoy using manual focus though. Thus I cannot comment too much on
    focus
    point selection. Much like the MZ-S I do not see myself using it too
    much.

    "Like the MZ-S, I feel the grip will add to the enjoyment of holding
    the
    camera. Speaking of holding, my hand did not tire of holding it.
    Unlike
    the behemoths that are the other DSLRs that force me to move them
    around
    a bit when shooting with them.

    "I love the fact that I can use my screwmounts on it!!! I have an
    85/1.9
    that I want to try out. I used an Auto-Takumar 55/1.8 for a couple of
    shots. The sales clerk just looked at me when I pulled out the
    screwmount-k adapter. But then again he is used to me by now... Being
    that I am used to using manual focus on the MZ-S, I had no problem
    focusing with the Takumar.

    "Of course I played with the complete range of Limited Lenses.
    Beautiful! The only one I am missing is the 43. And the rep did not
    hesitate to let me use his.

    "I do use my handheld meter frequently with all my cameras - yes even
    the MZ-S, so I do plan to use it with the DSLR. I used it a lot with
    the Nikon DSLRs.

    "A great touch is the PC sync terminal... One of the best shoots I had
    with the D1X was of a friend's retirement ceremony using a Pentax
    AF400T through the PC terminal. I used a flash meter and all the shots
    came out great! I like being able to do that with the *istD. No need
    to get any flash equipment for it - until I want to.

    "The only negative I have on the camera is the slight difficulty in
    removing the Compact Flash. The door latching is well thought out, but
    I can see some people having to get used to removing the CF from it.
    The cover of the contacts for mounting the grip is another finely
    engineered part. No chance of losing it - possible with the MZ-S
    though I have not done so - as it slides into the body.

    "Being a pre-production I cannot comment on picture quality. I did
    take
    quite a few at ISO 3200. It looked much like my Kodak 3200 shots, only
    in color. I like having that option. Interested to see how it would
    look
    shooting wedding ceremonies.

    "I did not pay much attention to the noise. So it must not have been
    bad. I did not compare it to the MZ-S, but then again I am used to the
    LX..."

    Mark Roberts, Sep 5, 2003
  16. Hugo Drax

    MJ Guest

    This was earlier in the year before the*istD release date was
    delayed.

    MJ

    MJ, Sep 5, 2003
  17. What has the delayed release date of the Pentax *ist D to do with the
    availability of the 15-30mm Sigma lens with a Pentax mount?

    Johan W. Elzenga, Sep 5, 2003