    would like to connect our pc#2 so that they can share the data and any work
    done or amendment on the files will be saved in pc1. We have a twisted RJ45
    wire. How do we go about doint this? Thanks for your hekp

    mayfriday, Apr 10, 2010

  2. Ben M. Schorr, MVP, Apr 10, 2010

  3. mayfriday

    Lem Guest

    The best way to share an Internet connection is with a router.

    If you don't want to do that, you need to use Windows Internet
    Connection Sharing. If you are going to connect the second computer to
    the one with the actual Internet connection by cable, you will need a
    special "cross-over" cable rather than a normal Ethernet cable. I don't
    know which you mean by "twisted RJ45 wire."

    You didn't specify which version of Windows you have, so here are a
    couple of web sites that discuss ICS for Windows XP, or you can Google
    for more:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx
    (uses wireless to connect secondary computers, but otherwise is applicable)

    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    Lem, Apr 10, 2010
  4. mayfriday

    mayfriday Guest

    Many thanks for the response We are using XP Prof (2nd pc) and XP Home (1st
    pc- which has access to internet using thumbdrive modem). We are stuck with
    this type of modem for contractual and mobility reason. The cable is
    "cross-over" type. Will try to go thru all the literature/methods and
    hopefully I can get it right. Thank you

    mayfriday, Apr 11, 2010