peak to peak vs rms noise in images.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jpc, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. jpc

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:20:06
    There are several different sources of noise.
    CCD sensors are a mature technology, so it's doubtful we'll see much
    improvement.

    John Navas, Apr 4, 2004

  2. jpc

    andrew29 Guest

    Well, perhaps. But just because you can measure something doesn't
    mean that the measurement will be applicable. I wonder if the right
    thing might be to take two measurements, one from processed data and
    one from dcraw ouput. At least with CCDs you have linear sensor data:
    with CMOS sensors you may not even have that,
    "The current pre-release version of DxO Analyzer (Feb, 2004) basis
    its S/N readings on a single average Gray Level. Since this is
    difficult to accurately match between test cameras it is not yet
    appropriate to compare S/N readings between camera systems. It also
    does not provide sufficient information about how a particular
    camera's sensor responds to noise as the exposure value is varied."

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Apr 4, 2004

  3. []
    A basic test like that is only a very small part of the story,
    unfortunately. I could design the camera software with a very low or even
    negative sharpening factor just to win top marks on such a test.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 4, 2004
  4. jpc

    eawckyegcy Guest

    True, manufacturers are free to apply whatever post-process blur to
    the images their cameras produce. Their choice, but I think they know
    better...

    eawckyegcy, Apr 7, 2004
  5. jpc

    eawckyegcy Guest

    You could work against non-raw output just as well as whatever
    processing (even Mr. Taylor's proposed blur) -- it just includes
    whatever artifacts from said processing. The raw data is probably a
    better idea though.
    CMOS's are just as linear (or nonlinear!) as CCD's.
    Of course, this is a limitation of that software, not the general
    technique.

    Or maybe its a message from their legal department? ;-)

    eawckyegcy, Apr 7, 2004