PDF in Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by E, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. E

    E Guest

    Hello!

    I was an Netscape uer (poor me) by an old habit and finally decided to
    move on when I couldn't cotrol anymore the helper applications. I
    couldn't open PDF documents anymore. It showed the URL and blank
    window, and no Adobe.

    When I installed Firefox, I importet the bookmarks (I wanted it) and,
    unfortunately, also settings from Netscape (I did not want to do it
    but Firefox did not ask my opinion). Now I have exactly the same
    problem here - I can't view PDF. A blank window, URL displayed, and no
    Adobe. I go to Options->Download, I have no PDF file-type there. I
    had removed it from Netscape hoping that the browser would ask me what
    to do with PDF and would remember the settings, as in old days. No way
    - a blank window instead.

    If I go to Options->Downloads->Plugins and disable PDF, Firefox asks
    me whether I want to save the file or open it with Adobe. Smart move.
    If I enable PDF - blank window.

    Could anybody please tell me how to configure Firefox so that it
    starts Adobe automatically for PDF documents? I could handle this
    problem 8 years ago but can't do it now.

    Regards,
    Erik

    E, Sep 16, 2004

  2. E

    E Guest

    A check box to use the helper application from now on. Sorry for the
    inconvenience

    E, Sep 16, 2004

  3. E

    Jim-G Guest

    Erik......where did you find the check box for the helper app? My options
    won't start anything and for the life of me, I can't find the check box you
    mentioned. jg

    Jim-G, Sep 16, 2004