PDF files

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tflfb, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. tflfb

    tflfb Guest

    System Windows XP home

    I attempted to open a file ( attachment ) from my e-mail and view it in PDF
    form

    I had Acrobat 5.1 uninstalled and upgraded to 6.0

    I started to experience blue screen on shut down after viewing a PDF file's
    in 6.0

    I un-installed 6.0 re-installed 5.1 ( I thought )

    When I attempted to open the attachment tonight it wanted to open in 6.0, so
    I stopped and decided to open it in Word 2000, and it was in Japanese
    language.v ( unable to convert it to english )

    Now every file thats in PDF form I want to open it opens in Word 2000, and
    its in a foreign language.

    Aside from un-installing word and trying that is there a way to open these
    files in Arobat 5.1

    Thanks Tom F

    tflfb, Oct 17, 2003

  2. tflfb

    Roy Guest

    In Windows Explorer, if you right-click on a file, you can select
    "Open With" and pick "Choose Program". Note the little checkbox at the
    bottom left that asks if you always want to use the selected program
    with this type of file. Make sure it is not checked.

    If things don't proceed as I describe, try combining the right-click
    with control or shift.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    Roy, Oct 17, 2003

  3. tflfb

    Roy Guest

    Don't know which e-mail you are using. In Netscape, under Preferences,
    there is a page called Helper Applications where you can associate
    file types with programs.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem

    Roy, Oct 17, 2003
  4. tflfb

    tflfb Guest

    Thanks for the help. I un-installed word and re-installed Acrobat 5.1, then
    Word and now were back in business, I am using OE for mail, and Yahoo.

    When I tried to open the file attachment the first time I had the option to
    choose a program, when I closed that, and reattempted to open the file no
    option to choose it just when to Word.

    Thanks Again.

    Tom

    tflfb, Oct 17, 2003
  5. tflfb

    anna keynow Guest

    Or, conversely, he could right click and select properties. Then,
    where it says "opens with", it says "change", and then this will
    change all files and folders of the type (in this case pdf), be
    automatically opened with Acrobat.
    -+Anna+-

    anna keynow, Oct 17, 2003