" PC's, 2 NIC's, 1 Xover HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Les & Claire, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Hi all,
    leapt into this a bit gung ho this afternoon. NIC's installed and
    working correctly, cross over cat 5 cable connected.

    Now, Win98 on one pc and WinME on the other. Is there a handy site to run
    down the basic settings? I've got visible shared folders (ie their own) on
    each PC, but not visible across the network.
    What protocols etc do I need enabled. The wizard looks like it should be
    helping but doesn't actually....

    Just a pointer to some info please, then I'll check it all
    systematically...

    Les

    --
    Top Posting© Since 1997

    "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

    "That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

    Les & Claire, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Les & Claire

    Real nwsy Guest

    http://www.homenethelp.com/ got me connected in your situation. Installing
    NetBEUI protocol & making sure you have the same protocols installed on both
    machines may get you some results.

    Real nwsy, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Thanks for the help... got them file sharing now. But looks like ICS isn't
    available in Win98, will upgrade to WinME on the second pc. At the moment, I
    can not seem to get ICS working even with Wingate... back to the helpfiles!

    Thanks again...

    Les

    Les & Claire, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Les & Claire

    Real nwsy Guest

    Real nwsy, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Les & Claire

    Real nwsy Guest

    Never needed anything but ZoneAlarm in the four years I've been on
    Broadband. I know people despise it, particularly the free version, but I
    love it. Coupled with PC Cillin that came free with my mobo, I've not had a
    cause for complaint.

    Real nwsy, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Les & Claire

    Rob Morley Guest

    ZA has apparently caused problems for some people in some situations -
    personally I didn't like the dumbed-down interface and lack of explicit
    configuration options, but I've not used it for a long time so maybe
    they've improved it?

    Rob Morley, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Les & Claire

    Real nwsy Guest

    Nope, no improvement on the interface front. There are a few more options,
    but nothing amazing. I admit I'm an amateur when it comes to Firewalls and
    quite possibly the two you mention would be perfect for someone more
    knowledgable. ZA runs virtually invisibly on my system and offers all the
    protection I ask of it, so my novice needs are met.

    I did actually cancel my previous post when I realised I don't really have
    enough knowledge to get into a debate on firewalls!

    Real nwsy, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Les & Claire

    Real nwsy Guest

    It is actually. For a free v-checker it's remarkably robust, again running
    unnoticed. It's thanks to PCC that I'm Klez & SoBig-free.

    Real nwsy, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Very happy with the Sophos and ZoneAlarm solution. Every time I've been to
    one of those "How Stealthy is your PC" test sites it's turned out to be
    invisible. It's enough for me!

    Les

    Les & Claire, Aug 22, 2003