    function and do its thing in this particular slot? any advise would be
    appreciated!
    rob

    santafeumber, Jul 23, 2006

  2. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If you are not using the modem, and it is a PCI slot, then by all means pull
    it. A SATA controller will work fine in any PCI slot.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006

  3. santafeumber

    Plato Guest

    Urban myths or not.

    "Dont use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot as they share resources."

    An even older one.

    "Put your VLB sound card in the slot farthest from the processor,
    usually the last slot on the motherboard."

    Plato, Jul 23, 2006
  4. santafeumber

    Jerry Attic Guest

    said in @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    Sure, as long as it's a PCI slot. Then again, if you are using a machine
    old enough to have to use an add on SATA card, you're going to a lot of
    expense to get a performance gain you really aren't going to notice.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Jul 23, 2006
  5. santafeumber

    santafeumber Guest

    Jerry - I was wondering that myself - (if I would notice the difference
    and would it be worth
    the trouble of adding the SATA to it) - it never was that speedy to
    begin with. thanks again.

    santafeumber, Jul 23, 2006
  6. santafeumber

    santafeumber Guest

    anyone else have any opinions conerning Jerrys thoughts about it the
    increase in speed being relatelively unnoticeable vs the trouble and
    expense of upgrading to a SATA drive?
    thanks

    santafeumber, Jul 23, 2006
  7. santafeumber

    Jerry Attic Guest

    said in

    My opinion would be buy a bigger/better PATA drive and use the money you
    would've spent on the SATA setup on more RAM. I am sure you would see a
    better performance improvement via that route.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Jul 23, 2006
  8. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, that's only true in that all the VLB motherboards I ever saw had the
    VLB slots farthest from the processor. Why? Dunno. Probably because the long
    cards interfered with the layout of other components on the board. Dunno
    though, there /might/ have been a reason for that...

    I don't recall ever using any VLB sound cards though. The motherboards I
    used had two VLB slots: one got a video card, and the other was the drive
    controller (often a multifunction card - ports & drives).

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  9. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sure. If you're doing this because you think it'll run faster, don't bother.
    If you need more storage and you've already used up the other IDE
    connections, then SATA is fine. There are also add-on IDE cards, but SATA is
    easier (sometimes adding other IDE cards causes resource allocation
    difficulties).

    SATA doesn't run substantially faster than IDE. Now, a RAID array might run
    a little faster...but that requires multiple drives, and it probably still
    isn't enough faster to justify the cost.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  10. santafeumber

    santafeumber Guest

    thanks Toolman - seems there is a good sales job going on with how much
    faster SATA is and to switch over.. the base processor is not as slow
    as I first thought.. it is a P4 2.4GHZ-
    think I will just replace it with a standard IDE hard drive and call it
    a day - probably asking for trouble, given my limited computer skills
    adding the control card on... thanks again.

    santafeumber, Jul 23, 2006
  11. santafeumber

    santafeumber Guest

    Jerry - thanks for your thoughts - I upgraded the RAM after first
    buying it - it has 1GB and I don't use that heavily exc for streaming
    and photoshop occasionaly. can a PATA drive take the place of the
    stock IDE drive that came with the machine?? as you can tell,
    skills/knowledge are limited.. rob

    santafeumber, Jul 23, 2006
  12. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Be sure whatever new drive you get is at least 7200 RPM with 8MB cache.
    THAT'S where the performance comes from. See this article:
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,115629,00.asp

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  13. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    IDE is PATA (parallel ATA). You can either add a second drive for more
    storage and leave the OS on the original (if you have an open IDE channel)
    or "clone" the existing installation to the new drive, or install the OS
    fresh to the new drive.

    Oh - here's a kicker for you: I have a two year old HP desktop that came
    from the factory with an IDE drive. I needed more space, and found a good
    deal on a SATA. So I bought it AND a PCI card. When it got here, I opened
    the case and found that the HP motherboard had SATA connectors already on it
    <g>! However, the power supply didn't have SATA power leads - I did find an
    adapter for that.

    So you might want to open the case and look over the motherboard before you
    decide. This site shows what the SATA connectors look like:
    http://www.directron.com/patasata.html

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  14. santafeumber

    Plato Guest

    I do believe I have a few here that have an IDE channel on board. ie it
    was for the CDrom drive.

    Plato, Jul 24, 2006
  15. santafeumber

    Plato, Jul 24, 2006
  16. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, the old VLB motherboards I had were made back when the IDE controllers
    weren't built-in. So I've got a few VLB cards still in the scrap bin that
    have IDE.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 25, 2006
  17. santafeumber

    Paul Guest

    Probably the same as "don't use the PCI slot next to the AGP as the DAMN
    THING WON'T FIT now that graphic cards have huge fans (and even if they do
    just fit they block off the airflow and cause the graphic card to overheat)
    :)

    [Incidentally, some motherboard do share an INT with the AGP and one of the
    PCI slots, but its designed to work that way.]
    Mainly because of the case design - long slots only fit at the bottom (on a
    tower case) as the hard/floppy drive cage was in the way of the slots above.
    I had (probably still have; along with loads of other junk) a mobo with 3 VL
    slots.. no idea why though as I only remember VLB bsing used for video and
    IO.. but I suppose you could have 2 IO cards if you really wanted to.

    Paul, Jul 25, 2006
  18. santafeumber

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - that's all I remember. I don't recall any sound cards on VLB. And it
    was before Windows 9x and the ability for two monitors. Hmmm...why three
    slots?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 25, 2006