PCI Express graphics card DVI problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi, I've just bought a bare-bone system , motherboard, processor, memory and
    graphic card already assembled into a case. Everything works fine except I
    can't get a signal from the DVI out connector after I load and run the
    graphics drivers (The output from this port work ok in vga mode). The SVGA
    connector works fine. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the
    manufacturers site (Leadtek) but they don't help. I can't get tech support
    til Monday which means I'm stuck. Does anyone have any idea as to what
    might be wrong? It's a foxcom motherboard, AMD 3000 processory, 512MB ram,
    Windows XP pro, all updates and services packs.

    On a second note, the documentation says I can't just take the C drive from
    my old system and expect it to work on the new system without doing a
    complete re-install of windows, which would be a pain to say the least. Is
    this so? And if so why? All the other parts HDDs DVD etc are fairly new
    and will be transferred across from the old machine to the new.

    Any help appreciated.

    Bob

    Bob, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Bob

    why? Guest

    Would it be a problem for you to say what model / revision / brand the
    PCI-E video card is? You problem seems to relate to the vifeo output but
    you didn't say much about the card or even the driver cersion before and
    after.
    You didn't say what model/rev of mobo either.
    No links to online docs, in case it's worth a quick read? Maybe not
    then.
    Hardware detection, basically there is a standard HAL
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/H/HAL.html
    and ACPI
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/A/ACPI.html
    or other versions.

    For a quick overview, www.google.com search for

    windows xp hal hardware

    and read
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299340

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Bob

    Trax Guest

    |>On a second note, the documentation says I can't just take the C drive from
    |>my old system and expect it to work on the new system without doing a
    |>complete re-install of windows, which would be a pain to say the least. Is
    |>this so? And if so why? All the other parts HDDs DVD etc are fairly new
    |>and will be transferred across from the old machine to the new.

    As C: drive? stick it in and run the XP CD repair on it, you will need
    to provide new drivers for it (have them ready). You will also have to
    reactivate XP, be sure to have your number handy.

    http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/MBoard_WinXP.htm

    Trax, Oct 22, 2005
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    :
    : On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:05:56 +0100, Bob wrote:
    :
    : >Hi, I've just bought a bare-bone system , motherboard, processor, memory
    and
    : >graphic card already assembled into a case. Everything works fine except
    : >can't get a signal from the DVI out connector after I load and run the
    : >graphics drivers (The output from this port work ok in vga mode). The
    SVGA
    : >connector works fine. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the
    : >manufacturers site (Leadtek) but they don't help. I can't get tech
    support
    :
    : Would it be a problem for you to say what model / revision / brand the
    : PCI-E video card is? You problem seems to relate to the vifeo output but
    : you didn't say much about the card or even the driver cersion before and
    : after.

    <it's a bit anonymous, no name on th card itself, just an installation
    leaflet with the name Leadtek on it, oh, and the word "WinFast" is
    mentioned>
    :
    : >til Monday which means I'm stuck. Does anyone have any idea as to what
    : >might be wrong? It's a foxcom motherboard, AMD 3000 processory, 512MB
    ram,
    :
    : You didn't say what model/rev of mobo either.

    <<the mobo is a Foxcon NF4UK8AA>
    :
    : >Windows XP pro, all updates and services packs.
    : >
[...]

    Very little ih the way of informative documentation really, it was supposed
    to be "built and tested", you know, works out of the box...yeah, right!

    Bob, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Bob

    MrGrumpy Guest

    MrGrumpy, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Bob

    why? Guest

    Just as well, habe delete a reply.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Bob

    why? Guest

    Look for last / next driver version from what you have.
    Haven't tried this on PCI-E yet ,

    PCItree is a graphical Windows tool to look at all the hardware devices
    of the
    .... PCItree gives you read and write access to the config registers of
    each ...
    www.pcitree.de/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
    This NVIDIA nForce4 (CK8-04) Ultra NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Bob

    BB Guest

    fan gives a brief spin then nothing. Even the power supply fan isn't
    running.

    HELP!!

    BB, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Bob