PC World's choices for the 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by TechGeekPro, May 26, 2006.

  1. TechGeekPro

    TechGeekPro Guest

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125772,pg,8,00.asp

    PC World's choices for the 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

    The Complete List of Losers

    1. America Online (1989-2006)
    2. RealNetworks RealPlayer (1999)
    3. Syncronys SoftRAM (1995)
    4. Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)
    5. Sony BMG Music CDs (2005)
    6. Disney The Lion King CD-ROM (1994)
    7. Microsoft Bob (1995)
    8. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)
    9. Pressplay and Musicnet (2002)
    10. dBASE IV (1988)
    11. Priceline Groceries and Gas (2000)
    12. PointCast (1996)
    13. IBM PCjr. (1984)
    14. Gateway 2000 10th Anniversary PC (1995)
    15. Iomega Zip Drive (1998)
    16. Comet Cursor (1997)
    17. Apple Macintosh Portable (1989)
    18. IBM Deskstar 75GXP (2000)
    19. OQO Model 1 (2004)
    20. CueCat (2000)
    21. Eyetop Wearable DVD Player (2004)
    22. Apple Pippin @World (1996)
    23. Free PCs (1999)
    24. DigiScents iSmell (2001)
    25. Sharp RD3D Notebook (2004)

    TechGeekPro, May 26, 2006

  2. TechGeekPro

    kpg Guest

    As TechGeekPro once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    lol. good stuff.

    kp "Mistake Edition" g

    kpg, May 26, 2006

  3. TechGeekPro

    Guest Guest

    << While I was at work, TechGeekPro spurted out:
    MS Bob made the list? Does he know?

    He'll be p!ssed when he sees they got his birthday wrong.

    Guest, May 26, 2006
  4. TechGeekPro

    Cerebrus Guest

    I would've rated Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader among the top 5.

    Cerebrus, May 27, 2006
  5. TechGeekPro

    Guest Guest

    Have you seen the new Adobe 3D?

    Guest, May 27, 2006
  6. TechGeekPro

    Cerebrus Guest

    Actually no... Is it even worse ? Hard to imagine what could be worse !

    Cerebrus, May 27, 2006
  7. I would've rated Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader among the top 5.
    I vote for that!
    The Acrobat ActiveX-control, that is.
    In my case about 80% of IE7-crashes and hangs (I have them most days) are
    because of Acrobat Reader, this is after I've disabled the automatic updates
    (which will hang your browser if you have PDF in an inactive window)
    about 10% is because of Flash Player,
    about 10% is IE7 beta, developer toolbar, media player activeX, live msn
    activeX and others (any rootkits I might have) combined

    Gorm Braarvig, May 27, 2006
  8. TechGeekPro

    Guest Guest

    Well, they want alot of money for it anyways... ;)

    Guest, May 27, 2006
  9. TechGeekPro

    Guest Guest

    I got that in IE6 quite often too. I can't even count the times that I've had
    to go into the Task Manager to kill the AOM process.

    Guest, May 27, 2006
  10. TechGeekPro

    Cerebrus Guest

    I prefer to disable the "Fast (!!!) web view" option in Adobe Reader
    preferences to prevent IE from hanging. Also, I've removed all plugins
    except the necessary ones, so it starts up much faster.

    BTW, I never bothered to upgrade the reader to version 7.0. Instead
    switched to Foxit Reader which is a 1.2 MB download compared to Adobe
    Reader's ~30 MB. (which expands to about 90 MB upon installation.)

    Regards,

    Cerebrus.

    Cerebrus, May 28, 2006
  11. TechGeekPro

    Guest Guest

    Not that I like the program or anything, I have cluzers at the office that use
    it all the damn time. I'll have to see if that helps. Usually the problems with
    the AOM process are after Adobe is already shut down.
    I'll give that a lookover. Thanks.

    Guest, May 28, 2006
  12. Not that I like the program or anything, I have cluzers at the office that
    I LOVE Acrobat reader, and the PDF-format which helps enormously if you want
    to print something on a multiple printer or setters.
    The integration with Internet Explorer is what puzzles me. It will in my
    opinion never work properly.
    I think it's like the SONY rootkit skandal or like the idea of writing
    WordPerfect in Java: decissions made without a good enough understanding of
    the technology involved (or rather limitations inherent in the technology).
    Good IT biz analytics and architects must be hard to find.

    Gorm Braarvig, May 28, 2006
  13. TechGeekPro

    Cerebrus Guest

    Thus spake Gorm :

    But I thought I had your vote to send Adobe Acrobat Reader to the list
    of top 25 losers. Tell me, how much they've bribed you to switch sides
    !!!

    Cerebrus, May 28, 2006
  14. I don't react to bribes, not monetary, anyway.
    The ActiveX control messes things up, while the reader (without IE), I love.
    I also like the pdfwriter printer driver.
    The sum is that I'm very confused and yes: I still vote it on to the list of
    top 25 losers. And the top 5.

    Gorm Braarvig, May 29, 2006