    didn't help. Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Flo

    flogerber, Feb 19, 2004

  2. flogerber

    Trent C Guest

    We have a PC that DH fixed up to give our grandkids, and everything works
    Who or what is DH?
    Which operating system are you using?
    How does the shutdown failure manifest itself (where in the shutdown process
    does it stop)?

    Trent C, Feb 19, 2004

  3. flogerber

    flogerber Guest

    DH is my Husband. It is Windows 98 SE, and it stops when you push start and
    shut down, the icons go away and it stops. You can do the ctr, alt and
    detete and it will shut down.

    Thanks
    Flo

    flogerber, Feb 19, 2004
  4. flogerber

    ICee Guest

    Look here: http://support.tangent.com/win98/windowsshutdown98.htm

    Also found a shutdown supplement install for 98SE here, under "Patches
    and Updates": http://www.modnet.com.au/archives/win9x.htm

    You should also go to Windows Update and see if any updates are
    available.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  5. flogerber

    Unk Guest

    Since you didn't mention the OS, scroll through the list.

    Windows 2000 Does Not Shut Down Correctly with Adaptec
    Easy CD Creator 4.0 or Earlier Installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285461

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315409

    HOW TO: Use the Remote Shutdown Tool to Shut Down and
    Restart a Computer in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317371

    Win98 SE shutdown problems
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnse.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/kbshtdwn.php
    [ More results from http://www.aumha.org ]

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

    How to disable Fast Shutdown in Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187607

    How to troubleshoot W98 shutdown problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=202633

    How to troubleshoot W98 SE shutdown problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238096
    http://www.techadvice.com/w98/S/Shutdown.htm

    Shutdown troubleshooter for Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try
    to Shut Down Your WinXP, Win2000 Computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

    Unk, Feb 19, 2004
  6. flogerber

    flogerber Guest

    Thanks for your replies. We have tried them all and still it won't shut
    down. We are going to work on it some more tomorrow.

    Thanks again,
    Flo

    flogerber, Feb 20, 2004
  7. flogerber

    J Guest

    Don't try this until someone else comments on it but it worked for me.
    Go to control panel/device manager/system devices,
    Click on system board then click remove,
    Turn off the power, give it a minute then switch back on, Windows should
    start re-detecting your hardware. You may have to start in safe mode,
    restart a couple of times but when it's done windows should have sorted out
    any conflicts.
    Good luck.

    J, Feb 20, 2004
  8. flogerber

    Harrison Guest

    Another one?
    Somebody else take this one.

    Harrison, Feb 21, 2004
  9. flogerber

    PaladinX Guest

    Set the "Exit Windows" sound to none. If it is currently set to none,
    select a sound, save the setting and then select none...I've seen this work
    about 80% of the time. Use the sound and media link from the control panel
    to set this. Hope this helps!

    PaladinX, Feb 21, 2004
  10.
    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004