pc very slow on internet

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. I am having problems with my desktop pc while surfing the net. (As I am not
    having the same problem with my laptop the problem is definitely with the
    desktop pc.) Norton doesn't detect any viruses and it is up-to-date with
    regard to definitions.

    I discovered the other day that part of the problem was the WINSOCK file had
    become corrupted, I was advised by my ISP (Telewest) to search for a Winsock
    repair file on the net which I did. The result of this was I can now see web
    pages (before I couldn't) but they are often very slow to load ( I have
    cable broadband with Telewest so they should be much faster).

    I have done a repair on IE and searched for an update for Windows 98SE, but
    there are none available it says. I have been getting loads of Swen email
    but always delete it online.

    Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from jumping off the Forth Bridge of
    course? TIA.

    --
    Radar: You're not supposed to be sleeping.
    Hawkeye: I'm not sleeping Radar... I'm just inspecting the

    "When your're down and out something will usually turn up......... often
    the noses of your friends" - Orson Welles.

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003

  2. I meant to say I have also run Ad-aware and Spybot as well.

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!

    Have you double checked that it is in fact connecting through your cable?
    Does it show what the connection speed is? I ask because somehow
    (daughter?) mine started to connect through old 56k modem instead of
    broadband.

    Long shot but HTH

    Peter

    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    and have you deleted your IE cache?

    Peter

    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  5. not to Edinburgh....

    It definitely isn't connecting through the 56k modem. Are you on ADSL or
    cable?
    I have now but I don't think that is the main problem.

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Bryan Henderson

    Peter T Guest

    The Tamar Bridge is much nearer!
    Try replacing the haggis processor in your cable modem with a good Devon
    ADSL - connection speed 576 Kbps and works very well. Does your cable
    connection show what speed you're connecting at? I think it will be
    important to eliminate line/modem problems before getting too worked up
    about the PC - unless the whole thing is running slow.

    Peter

    Peter T, Sep 30, 2003
  7. what's wrong with haggis processors? We don't get that many Devon pasties up
    here, mostly things called bridies and some Cornish pasties, now a drop of
    scrumpy that might help!
    Well as I said my laptop works fine on the same connection so I presumed the
    problem is with the PC not the connection don't you agree? The cable modem
    doesn't display speed of connection AFAIK.

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Bryan Henderson

    Sparky Guest

    Your TCP settings probably got restored to the windows default settings,
    which are more appropriate for dialup. I've seen the same symptoms before,
    and that's what the problem was.

    Go to www.broadbandreports.com - in the tools section, run a speed test on
    both your desktop and laptop. If the results differ, that's the problem.
    Then check out the "tweak test" to see which registry adjustments should be
    changed in order to optimize your performance. There are tools on the site
    which will help you make the adjustments.... or you can go to
    www.cablenut.com and use their adjuster program. It comes with templates
    for most types of broadband connections.

    Only other possibility which comes to mind immediately is a bad NIC, or NIC
    drivers.

    Sparky, Sep 30, 2003
  9. I've done that and the results are

    laptop download 331 kbps upload 79 kbps
    desktop down 122 kbps up 0 bps

    Bryan Henderson, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Bryan Henderson

    anonsoc Guest

    Actually if your cache is huge it will take forever to load up a webpage.
    Clean out your cache file and try again.

    What happens is when a webpage is loading your comp attempts to find the
    cached page to make loading quicker, but when you have too many files in
    there, it takes longer to search than it would to just load the page from
    scratch.

    anonsoc, Oct 1, 2003
  11. Bryan Henderson

    Plato Guest

    corrupted or not. The other day I fixed the same problem by deleting 10
    gig of Internet cache files on a PC with a 30 gig drive.

    Plato, Oct 2, 2003
  12. Bryan Henderson

    Kaputnik Guest

    How do I find and delete my internet cache files?

    Kaputnik, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Bryan Henderson

    Chuck Guest

    Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - under Temporary
    Internet files, Delete Files button. Check Settings too, tweak them
    to use less resources, so you don't get back to this point again.

    This is IE V6, other versions (other browsers??) may have different
    menu and wizard layout.

    Chuck

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Oct 4, 2003
  14. Bryan Henderson

    anonsoc Guest

    if you're using windows go into internet explorer, click on tools, internet
    options, then you get a popup and it should be a button on that first page
    "delete files"

    anonsoc, Oct 7, 2003
  15. Bryan Henderson

    Mike0000 Guest

    After you clean out cache you might want to try blocking ads to save on
    bandwidth. Click below.

    Mike0000, Oct 8, 2003