PC powers up when Space key pressed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. There's something odd happening with my power options on this 5-year
    old MESH Athlon 1800 (1 GB) running XP Home. Under Control Panel >
    Power Options I don't use Hibernate (not enabled) or Standby (set to
    'Never'). All I have under the Power Schemes tab is 'Turn off monitor'
    = 'After 20 mins'.
    But:

    1. After using Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off, the PC appears to
    power down (HD and monitor both power off). But it is obviously *not*,
    because the LEDs for Power and HD are both still on.

    2. By accident I discovered that if I press the keyboard Space key,
    the PC powers up again! (No other key I tried seems to do it. Nor a
    mouse click of any kind.)

    What can be the possible cause please?

    Also, under the Advanced tab, I don't really understand how to
    interpret the drop-down box options. At present I have
    'When I press the power button on my computer:' set to 'Shut down'.
    Why would I ever want anything else? For example, 'Do nothing' seems
    pointless!

    And 'When I press the sleep button on my computer:' is set to 'Stand
    by'. But what exactly is the 'Sleep Button'? As far as I know I just
    have a Power button and a Reset button, and that's been the case with
    all my PCs.

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 27, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Evan Platt Guest

    Your HD light is ON? Something's wrong. That light should only be on
    with HD activity. Is it normally on all the time?
    Look in your BIOS for any "wake on" options.
    For tards who maybe have a tendancy to hit the power button by
    mistake.
    You may not have a sleep button. It's on some keyboards.

    Evan Platt, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Thanks Evan, appreciate the fast reply.

    I was just about to report back that I have isolated the cause of the
    LED puzzle. It seems due to a self-powered USB hub. Pulling its
    adaptor from the mains socket switches off both CPU case LED. Still
    seems some sort of design flaw, don't you think?
    Thanks, will do so on next reboot.
    OK, understood, thanks.

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 27, 2007
  4. Terry Pinnell

    richard Guest

    The space bar is generally used to "wake up" from the "sleep" mode.
    The stand by setting as mentioned could be the culprit. Set it to
    "shut down".

    richard, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Spirit Guest

    Check Power Management and BIOS... you have it set wrong... its only going
    into
    SLEEP or HIBERNATE.

    Spirit, Dec 27, 2007
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Phat Sam Guest

    Actually, older computer BIOS's (back when 600mHz was popular) would
    wake on either Mouse Click or Keyboard (Space-bar) activation. I had
    a friend who would leave his set that way, and conviently his hard
    drive light stayed on all the time and would go-off occasionally....

    Phat Sam, Dec 27, 2007
  7. Everybody else has already addressed most of the other points, so I'll take
    this one:
    Ever had a young child pushing all the buttons he can find? Under those
    circumstances, you'd probably *want* the power button to do nothing.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 27, 2007
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Unknown Guest

    It can be used to enter sleep mode or (if you wanted to bypass the time,
    enter hibernate). It of course is used to power off
    (hold for four seconds) and power on.

    Unknown, Dec 27, 2007
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Or a cat tippy toeing over the keyboard!

    Rick Merrill, Dec 27, 2007
  10. Also, under the Advanced tab, I don't really understand how to
    :eek:) Didn't think of the keyboard--I've never had one with a power button on
    it.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 27, 2007