    File is large.
    Do I just need to upgrade my CPU or would doubling the RAM help out.
    Opinion?

    02befree, Aug 20, 2007

  2. 02befree

    Evan Platt Guest

    Control-Alt-Delete. What's using up the CPU?

    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Neither one would help against a firefox addon running amuck and in some
    endless loop. As already suggested, start taskmanager (you may do so in
    advance and mimimize it to the tray) and watch the process tab sorted by
    cpu utilization (click the headers until maximum value shows on top of the
    list). Disable all non-vital addons and autostarts.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 20, 2007
  4. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    firefox 94,000k
    outlook 53,000k
    and then my CA Antivirus isafe 18,000
    Firefox when lots of tabs are open gets into the 100,000 range which I
    though was strange.
    CPU running 25% average with Outlook Express (newsreader) and Acrobat Reader
    running also
    The rest of the processes are minor and I run clean of any spyware/virus
    stuff as that is my specialty.

    02befree, Aug 20, 2007
  5. 02befree

    Evan Platt Guest

    That's memory. What's using the CPU? Look at the CPU column.

    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007
  6. 02befree

    Ar Q Guest

    Nothing will help. There are bad programmers everywhere. Eventually you will
    be running a program which uses "polling", meaning the program uses CPU for
    doing nothing. Your CPU will spike to 100% utilization.

    Ar Q, Aug 20, 2007
  7. You appear to be reporting the amount of RAM used by these programs, and
    not the "CPU Time", which is what will answer the question.

    Normally, when your computer is sitting idle - you aren't typing,
    downloading, processing anything, have no screensavers in use - CPU
    usage should be near zero. It doesn't matter how much RAM is occupied by
    various applications (to a point).

    You need to look at CPU Time.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 20, 2007
  8. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    I suspected something within Firefox since I do have some add-on's and
    extensions, etc running there.

    02befree, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Specs are fine for W2K. Do lockups occur right away after boot or after
    a while? Check for a heat problem.
    max

    Maximus the Mad, Aug 21, 2007