PC Keeps Resetting = Athlon XP Overheating?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    My PC keeps resetting whenever it's doing intense processing for any
    extended period of time (e.g. encoding mp3s, avis). The first screen after
    the reset shows the temperature of my Athlon XP2000+ to be 71-72 degrees. Is
    this, as I suspect, because the CPU is overheating?

    When it goes back into Windows XP I get a message saying "The system has
    recovered from a serious error" due to a "device".

    If I leave the PC off for half an hour, the CPU goes down to 25 degrees when
    it starts up and I can then redo the thing that caused the crash originally
    without any problem.

    Should I get better cooling for my machine? I already have a standard cooler
    on my CPU and it's attached with the special glue. If I was to get a better
    fan/cooler is it safe and easy to remove the old cooler and put a new one
    on? Any other recommendations on how keep my PC/CPU cool (without too much
    noise if possible)?

    TIA.

    John, Dec 8, 2003

  2. John

    Miggsee Guest

    Look in your case for room to add additional fans. (they're cheap) If you're
    going to add fans, be sure and measure the size you need.

    Alternatively, make sure the box isn't enclosed in a desk and has plenty of
    air circulation. Likewise, you could open up the case to permit more air
    circulation.

    Miggsee, Dec 8, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    John wrote:

    I suffered a similar problem and when I opened up the case I found that the cpu
    fan was not running. They are easily replaced. Also, make sure the power
    supply fan is working.

    John, Dec 8, 2003
  4. John

    Guest Guest

    Yeah, start with running the thing with as much of the case open as
    possible.

    If the problem persists your main CPU fan isn't doing the job it
    should and adding extra fans won't make any difference.

    Guest, Dec 8, 2003
  5. John

    jonny bravo Guest

    CPU fans have a tendency to crap out... You can definitly get abetter fan
    aftermarket...
    Does your BIOS info have a section to monitor fan speed and temp.... it may
    have
    an overheat alarm in there too... Save my old Athlon w/ the alarm when one
    of the
    fans took a crap....

    jonny bravo, Dec 8, 2003
  6. John

    M Mullen Guest

    (E-mail sent if a reply)

    |> Should I get better cooling for my machine? I already have a standard cooler
    |> on my CPU and it's attached with the special glue. If I was to get a better
    |> fan/cooler is it safe and easy to remove the old cooler and put a new one
    |> on? Any other recommendations on how keep my PC/CPU cool (without too much
    |> noise if possible)?

    What I do is rip apart old power supplies for their fans, and wire tie them to
    the case blowing over the cpu. Leave an air escape, it does no good if you
    don't have an air flow.

    M Mullen, Dec 8, 2003
  7. John

    DCstewieG Guest

    It would probably help a lot just to clean your CPU heatsink....I'm willing
    to bet it's filled with dust. Dust = bad.

    DCstewieG, Dec 8, 2003
  8. John

    Shep© Guest

    There's definitely something wrong somewhere with those temps.
    Even a stock cooler wouldn't do that.Make sure that the HS is
    correctly orientated onto the Athlon Raised Die.They have a lip
    underneath that should match the raised lip of the CPU well.Also if
    it's been supplied with a thermal gum patch remove this,lap-polish the
    HS bottom and use some thermal paste.
    Check the Fan's rotational speed as well,
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    The larger the COU fan the less speed is required for cooling e.g my
    HSF combo has a slim 70 mm fan usually running at around 3,500 RPM so
    to all intents and purposes it's silent.
    http://tinyurl.com/ybtn
    http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/cooler/microflow2/spec.htm

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 8, 2003
  9. John

    Guest Guest

    It wouldn't surprise me if it exceeds the maximum 85C rating of the
    CPU.

    How does the power supply sit relative to the CPU? Does it block air
    flow into the CPU fan? Does it have a fan right next to the CPU fan
    that pulls air away from it? These situations often occur when the
    power supply sits vertically, and if either apply, then you need
    either a CPU cooler that leaves more room between the fan and power
    supply, or you need a case where the power supply sits horizontally.

    What happens when you run the computer with the cover removed? If
    that puts an end to the crashes, then try to improve the air flow
    inside the case by removing blockages (but don't resort to round
    cables, which are almost always electrically inferior), such as by
    moving cards out of the way or tying cables togehter with wire ties or
    Velcro (don't use anything containing metal), preventing hot exhaust
    air from being immediately sucked back into the CPU fan, and changing
    the number or directions of the fans. Eliminate all but one case fan
    (case fans include hard drive coolers that bring in outside air), such
    as the one farthest from the power supply, and see which flow
    direction keeps the case the coolest. Final measurements should be
    taken at least 30 minutes after the computer has been running. Then
    try adding a second fan, again trying it in both flow directions, but
    don't bother adding any more fans because no case should require more
    than 1-2.

    Unless space is a problem, I wouldn't replace a factory CPU cooler
    because it's the only kind guaranteed not just against its own
    failure but against CPU failure, and factory coolers tend to be quite
    good.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003