    firewall installed at the moment, could this be a DOS attack ? Anyone any
    idea whats going on ?

    Cheers for any help

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Quantum Sleep

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Go here: http://www.tandmdigital.com/

    Mcploppy ©, Aug 11, 2003

  3. I have msblast.exe...i'm just following through with the link given by
    Mcploppy as i type...

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 11, 2003
  4. How dreadfull is that, jesus h moley.....i don't know what i'm gonna have to
    do, still thinking....

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Quantum Sleep

    Groove Guest

    Quantum Sleep said this...

    C&P from "alex fraser" with thanks.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    First find and kill the process with Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).

    Then Start->Run... "regedit" and search for "msblast". Should get you to
    here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You should see a "windows auto update" key as mentioned in the above link,
    delete the key.
    Finally, search for "msblast" on your system drive and delete it.

    ~~~~~~~~~~ this should clear it ~~~~~~~~~~~

    Groove, Aug 11, 2003
  6. All done and dusted ! I hope lol, Ty for that fab info, i was getting to my
    wits end with it ! THANK YOU !!!!!

    Incidentally which newsgroup did you get this info from cos i might
    subscribe myself !

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Quantum Sleep

    Groove Guest

    Quantum Sleep said this...
    You're welcome. The info came from a thread in uk.comp.homebuilt
    Some nice people in there. :)

    Groove, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Quantum Sleep

    Groove Guest

    Quantum Sleep said this...
    That will not be an executable so not a problem, but it can't hurt to delete
    it anyway just to keep things tidy.

    Groove, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Quantum Sleep

    chris Guest

    : My PC keeps crashing. It says
    :
    : "This shutdown is initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM"
    :
    : "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Called (RPC) terminated
    : unexpectedly."
    :
    *everyone* seems to having this flaw in Windows exploited tonite! My
    friend at Uni has been experiencing it all nite as well until I fixed it
    for her!

    The fix is available as a critical security update on windowsupdate.

    chris, Aug 12, 2003
  10. Quantum Sleep

    chris Guest

    : > All done and dusted ! I hope lol, Ty for that fab info, i was getting to
    : my
    : > wits end with it ! THANK YOU !!!!!
    : >
    : > Incidentally which newsgroup did you get this info from cos i might
    : > subscribe myself !
    :
    : You're welcome. The info came from a thread in uk.comp.homebuilt
    : Some nice people in there. :)
    :
    Incidentally, this whole exploit and fix is plastered over google
    groups. I don't know why people don't at least try and help themselves
    first!

    chris, Aug 12, 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980#WinXP

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    oo^^artnada^^oo, Aug 12, 2003
  12. Quantum Sleep

    Conor Guest

    EVERYONE doesn't. I haven't because I'm not a fucking retard who goes
    opening every single e-mail I get from people I don't know with subject
    lines not applicable to me. I also don't use OE either.

    --
    ________________________
    Conor Turton

    ICQ:31909763
    ________________________

    Conor, Aug 12, 2003
  13. Quantum Sleep

    Danny Guest

    You don't need to be doing _anything_ other than have a Windows XP
    machine turned on and connected to the internet to get this virus.
    That's what makes it particularly nasty. It exploits a flaw in the RPC
    (Remote Procedure Call) service in Windows (basically a mechanism
    which allows machines to ask other machines on a network to do work
    for them). There's a vulnerability in the Windows XP RPC code which
    means you can overflow a buffer and cause code to be executed simply
    by sending a carefully crafted packet to a machine. You don't have to
    download anything, open an email, or receive anything from Messenger
    - simply being online is enough to make your machine vulnerable.

    Danny

    Danny, Aug 12, 2003
  14. Quantum Sleep

    chris Guest

    : In article <>,
    : says...
    :
    : > *everyone* seems to having this flaw in Windows exploited tonite! My
    : > friend at Uni has been experiencing it all nite as well until I fixed it
    : > for her!
    : >
    : EVERYONE doesn't. I haven't because I'm not a fucking retard who goes
    : opening every single e-mail I get from people I don't know with subject
    : lines not applicable to me. I also don't use OE either.
    :
    :
    You need to do some further reading up on this exploit.

    chris, Aug 12, 2003
  15. Quantum Sleep

    Dragonet Guest

    <snigger>

    Nowt to do with either emails or OE, sunshine.

    Dragonet, Aug 12, 2003
  16. Quantum Sleep

    Rob Morley Guest

    Without effective firewalling, and without installing a security update
    that's apparently been available for weeks ...

    Rob Morley, Aug 12, 2003
  17. Quantum Sleep

    Paul Guest

    Probably 90%+ of the computer-using population. Sad but true.

    Paul, Aug 12, 2003
  18. I can't install the security update...i keep getting the following error

    "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure
    Cryptographic service is running on this computer."

    Does anyone know whats going on ?

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 12, 2003
  19. What do you do when the windows update patch won't load tho ?

    I get the following error

    Quantum Sleep, Aug 12, 2003
  20. Quantum Sleep

    chris Guest

    : "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure
    : Cryptographic service is running on this computer."
    :
    Administrative Tools > Services

    Then manually start the Cryptographic service. Sorted.

    chris, Aug 12, 2003