pc incredibly slow when inserting network cable (from gigabit switch)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tom, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. tom

    tom Guest

    Hi,

    I'm having strange problems with a gigabit switch (extreme summit
    400-48t). symptoms: servers connected to it (mostly sun v20z, also
    v210 & v240 servers) seem to loose network connectivity (i can't reach
    them anymore on the network). then a minute later, everything works
    again as expected.

    the servers are all equipped with gigabit NIC's. (I think the v20z use
    broadcom cards, the sun v210 & v240 use sun's gigaswift ethernet
    cards.

    another thing that happened the other day was that as soon as i
    inserted a network cable (that was already connected to the switch) in
    my laptop, my pc was behaving extremely slow. as soon as i removed the
    cable, the pc acted normal again.

    I'm using cat FTP 5E cables (gigabit certified).
    I looked in the log on the switch (show log "debug" command), but
    didn't find any errors.

    I was just wondering i any of you have a pointer ?
    the ports on the switch are on 'auto negotiation'. I read somewhere
    that I should probably leave them like that. Perhaps i should fix the
    speed on the NIC on the server ?

    any ideas ?

    thx,

    Tom.

    tom, Apr 12, 2005

  2. tom

    Phil Guest

    Is portfast enabled? Sounds like the port is negotiating spanning tree.

    Phil, Apr 13, 2005

  3. tom

    Gordon Smith Guest

    Extremes don't run spanning-tree by default.

    Firstly, lock the port speed and duplex on both the switch and the servers.
    The OP doesn't say whether any layer 3 functionality is being used, or
    whether its part of an EAPS ring.

    I use Extreme switches extensively and have never had this problem with
    connectivity.
    Posting a copy of the config would probably help....

    Gordon Smith, Apr 13, 2005