PC has been taken over, any help would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cathy, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    I'll make a Long story as short as possible;
    It started when I noticed that when I opened outlook express it would
    disconnect me and bring up another dialup box, no matter what I changed the
    preferences to. I also noticed that I didn't hear the modem sound any more,
    again no matter what I set preferences to.
    I am also being told that I no longer have privileges to change settings or
    even enable anything on my Norton internet security.
    I called my isp and HP and they had me delete temp & temporary Internet
    files, etc. so, PCBug Doctor, Microsoft Malicious software removal tool, and
    any other thingI run, can't find anything wrong, but there ARE settings that
    still remain.
    I have deleted my internet connection oh, say 9 -10 times and although it
    says I am connected, I can't view we pages, messages or download mail. I can
    ping my google start page though. At first I could go to web pages but it
    would not let me log on to anything or download updates or do housecall
    virus scan. It seems that if I wasn't going where ever it wanted to send me
    , I'm not going anywhere. Last time this happened I had to reformat and that
    is so bad because I am on a home office network and I have the printer
    settings that the other pc needs to use. It will also not let me go to any
    restore points successfully. I installed Earthlink total access to try to
    get around it, and again that dial up box appeared and since I closed it to
    use Total Access, Total Access can't seem to get connected.
    Last time I did a housecall scan I had a lot of windows xp known
    vulnerabilities But since I can't connect I can't download patches. I am
    downloading them as I write this on my laptop to install later on desktop,
    but will that fix anything? Also, When I pick up the phone line while trying
    to connect there is a suspicious whirring noise interfering with the usual
    boingy modem noises. Oh yeah, Someone also suspiciously redeemed a gift
    certificate I has sent from Amazon.com. Something is rotten in Denmark
    alright!!

    Cathy, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Cathy

    Alan Guest

    Physically disconnect the PC from the phone and high speed internet if
    you have that. Install Spybot and adaware from the laptop. Boot up the
    desktop into safemode and run them until they do not find anything.
    Then if you can connect to the internet, update them both - and run them
    both again.

    Alan, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    Thanks I'll try that.

    Cathy, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Cathy

    Dennos Guest

    Hi Cathy -

    I have a computer I'm working on for friends who let their machine get
    infected with 14 viruses. Password stealing viruses and dialing
    viruses and others. The symptoms are exactly the same as with your
    machine. We can dial up, and I can ping a known ip address, but email
    or webpages never work. We are on line, but something is blocking
    actual email or browser access to the internet. I have removed all the
    viruses and reinstalled Windows (over the top of itself), used
    different email clients, uninstalled and reinstalled browsers, etc, but
    the problem continues. The owners of this computer have no original
    Windows (98SE) installation disk, and HP no longer provides one. I
    ordered a Windows CD to install Windows from scratch. That seems to be
    the simplest solution. This computer was used by a family, the kids of
    which downloaded many MP3 files using Kazaa and also downloaded many
    games and I think played games on line. All such activities are
    suspect in the infection of this machine. You are the first person I
    have found with this problem, and have seen no inquiry responses that
    address what is really happening or have any solutions. It looks like
    a fresh OS reinstall is the best option.

    Dennos

    Dennos, Oct 23, 2005