    The other times it just says preparing to hibernate and gets stuck at the
    blue screen. Has anyone seen this before or is it just something wrong with
    my PC?

    Guest, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Haven't seen it. Assuming sufficient disk space for hibernation, and that
    the hibernate file is not horribly fragmented, then I would guess some piece
    of software that is running is interfering. Do you have any problems doing a
    shutdown or reboot?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Occasionally. Though not as often as I have problems with hibernate. There
    are occasions though when doing a shutdown, I get a message saying Windows is
    shutting down and then it will just get stuck there.

    I have run Norton Win Doctor and all other checks to see if there are issues
    but Norton at least does not seem to report any. Is there anything in
    Windows XP Professional that would run similar checks?

    Denzil Fernandes

    Guest, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you really want to use hibernation, try it right after you start the
    system. If it goes into hibernation then, consistently, try it after you
    start your commonly used programs. When you find the one that causes the
    problem, you can close it using task manager before you hibernate.
    Incidentally this group is for the x64 edition and you might get better
    answers in the standard xp group.

    John Barnes, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Martin S. Guest

    It's definitely sounds software related. I would shutdown all the programs
    on the task bar next to the clock first and see if that helps, if it does
    bring them back one at a time to find the culprit.

    Martin S., Jul 18, 2006
  6. Martin and John have pointed you at the resolution steps. The first thing I
    would personally do is un-install Norton and then try again. But that's only
    because I've spent so much time working on friends machines that had it on.
    YMMV.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Guest

    Gary Mount Guest

    I have similar problems putting my laptop into Hibernation. If I put it into
    standby then immediately bring it back up then put it into Hibernation, it
    has never failed to hibernate doing this.
    My system is a Pentium II - 300 MHz, running Windows XP pro.

    Gary Mount, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Guest

    DP Guest

    I have an athlon 64 dual core with an Asus A8N-E motherboard and run into
    problems sometimes. Not as often as you're running into problems and not the
    same kind of problem. (At the same time, tho, the problem has led me to use
    hibernate less and less. If I used it more, maybe I'd have the problem more
    frequently.)

    Here's what happens to me:
    The machine will say it's hibernating and then it will reboot! Eventually it
    brings me back to the log-in screen. I have it set up for two users, but
    actually only one log-in identity gets used 100 percent of the teim.
    If I try to turn off the machine from the log-in screen by using the link in
    the lower left-hand corner of the screen, it will tell me that I have one
    user logged on (i.e., the user who was trying to hibernate) and it will ask
    me if I'm sure I want to turn the machine off.

    DP, Jul 21, 2006