pc clock losing time since DSL hook up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TMiller, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. TMiller

    TMiller Guest

    My computer is a little over a year old, and about two weeks ago,I
    switched from dial-up to DSL. Since then my pc's clock has been running
    slow- losing about a half of a minute per day. I looked at past
    postings here about this and I learned to turn off my computer for
    awhile and then check the time- it was perfect! So, I assume it's not my
    one-year-old battery. I have the Internet time set to synchronize at
    time.windows.com and it seems to automatically update ok once a week,
    and updates perfectly when I click "update now" (I also have the option
    to synchronize with time.nist.gov which is where I check the time-
    should I try synchronizing at that site, I wonder.) I haven't added any
    other new programs that would hog resources and, of course, when I call
    my ISP they tell me that absolutely nothing about the DSL connection
    will affect the time and the ONLY thing it can be is my battery- ARRRRGH!
    I'm using Windows XP home and the firewall that came with it- I also
    used that firewall when I had dial-up.
    Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated

    Thanks,
    Terry

    TMiller, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Replace your battery.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 6, 2005

  3. TMiller

    Unknown Guest

    You're nuts

    Unknown, Jun 6, 2005
  4. TMiller

    Unknown Guest

    Sync your clock at tock.usno.navy.mil

    Unknown, Jun 6, 2005
  5. Is that you, Bullis?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 6, 2005
  6. TMiller

    Plato Guest

    Then its an app you have running 24/7. One can get a time-syncho app for
    free and you just set it to a time server to check every hour or so.

    Plato, Jun 6, 2005
  7. TMiller

    root Guest

    Nothing to do with DSL connection.
    download a program to sync time with your PC clock off internet time
    server.

    root, Jun 11, 2005
  8. TMiller

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    Windows XP has a built-in ability to contact an NTP server.

    Start

    Control Panel

    Date and Time

    Internet Time tab

    [ x ] Automatically synchonize with an Internet time server

    Dave Lear, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Please bear in mind that timekeeping from a website -however
    prestigious - is not as accurate as you may think.
    As an example watch a terrestrial TV programme and then watch it on
    cable - they are several seconds apart.

    valeofbelvoirdrinker, Jun 11, 2005
  10. TMiller

    Ron Guest

    Ron, Jun 11, 2005
  11. TMiller

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    I'm not the original poster so...

    1) I don't have cable / satellite and don't watch much television
    2) I don't care if my PC's time is out by a few seconds
    3) Always quote some of the message to which you're replying

    Dave Lear, Jun 12, 2005
  12. TMiller

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Maybe that's when you got the virus or spyware?
    You also need anti-virus and anti-spyware.

    Rick Merrill, Jun 12, 2005