PC boots on its own - WAKE ON LAN DISABLED!! HELP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Eli, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Eli

    Eli Guest

    Hi all,

    I am really getting worried now. There are 2 strange behavings with my
    PC.

    1.) It restarts in middle of work. it's not shutting down it just
    switches off just like someone pressed the powerbutton. Puff and there
    it goes, after that it restarts. No message in the eventviewer,
    nothing.

    2.) PC boots up on its own (and it was really shut down!)
    Wake on LAN/ring/modem all is switched off.

    Virus check done. nothing. firewall on. WHAT THE HELL IS IT DOING??

    I am running Windows XP.

    Can someone give me a hint what could cause this? Can I track these
    shutdowns?
    Could it be a bios-virus???

    Please help
    Eli

    Eli, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Eli

    °Mike° Guest

    1--Have you tested the power supply? Tried another?

    2--Are you saying that it was powered off?

    °Mike°, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Eli

    Jim Guest

    Think a had the same problem The machine would just reboot for no reason.
    When a fitted a new procesor a had the same problem stayed untill a fitted a
    bigger power supply. You might find that it has caused some damage. A had
    probs with my hard drive, which soon after died a horrible death.

    Jim, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Eli

    LiGhTnInG Guest

    sure it's not power settings, maybe it's going to sleep, a few innocent
    presses on the power button would shut it down and boot it back up.......did
    you try whacking a few keys on the keyboard to see if it wakes up?????

    just a suggestion....

    LiGhTnInG, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Eli

    Dean Guest

    Your hard drive is about to die anyday now so back up all your data on
    external devices ASAP !

    Dean, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Eli

    ethan.blair Guest

    this could just be the setting in power options, go to start/control
    panel/performance and maintenence/ power options button at the bottom, and
    make sure power scheme buttons are all set to never

    to access performance and maintenence, make you the control panel is not in
    classic veiw

    ethan.blair, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Eli

    Eli Guest

    Thanks(!) for the note "BACK UP YOUR DATAS" :))) I am gonna do that
    right now.
    Harddiskcrash hurts without backup.
    But one note, if it is a harddisk problem, why does it boot up on its
    own? Also I cannot imagine that a broken hard disk just makes the
    power go away....?

    Yes the it really shuts down, it switches off, you even hear the power
    getting off...you know when you suddenly put out your power cable it
    just makes "puff" and it's gone. That's what it does. After that it
    reboots again after a few seconds. Nothing works, you can "lie on that
    keyboard" it won't react until it reboots again. I am gonig nuts. And
    the timeslides are not regulary. One day I can work on it over 4
    hours, the next day it "puffs off" after 20 minutes. very strange.

    Nobody knows if I can track these shutdowns? Can I somehow get in
    between that power off? Guess not eh?

    Cheers and thanks for your help

    Eli

    Eli, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Eli

    Maria Guest

    Beginning of this year there was a virus going round that made 1000's of PC's
    behave erraticly the way you describe.
    Forget what it was called but a check on Viruspages of Symantec or McAfee might
    help you out. Just a guess, success!
    Maria
    ..

    Maria, Sep 23, 2004