Password recovery disabled on Cisco 1711 Router - cannot login or reset

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GusttyWinds, May 17, 2006.

  1. GusttyWinds

    GusttyWinds Guest

    Hello all,

    We have a Cisco 1711 that was just removed from an office we bought and
    we were planning to use it for a test environment but we're unable to
    reset the password. The "no service password-recovery" command must
    have been set because when it boots it says "PASSWORD RECOVERY
    FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED".

    I've tried a CTRL-BREAK several times; it does bring up the "do you
    want to reset the router to factory defaults?", I say yes, it
    continues, then it says "are you sure you want to continue?", I say yes
    again (I have also tried "no" here), it continues booting, and after
    telling me how much flash memory is remaining, it starts loading kron
    commands and appears to disable the password recovery functions again.
    Then comes "This command has no effect on this line; use modem AT
    commands instead" and it halts here indefinitely.

    This router has no removable battery or NVRAM chip to store the config;
    it is stored in EEPROM. So I can't remove that to reset it either. I
    should also mention that if I try to boot it without the (CTRL-BREAK)
    sequence, the boot halts in the exact same place, after "This command
    has no effect on this line; use modem AT commands instead".

    The router was originally configured to establish a VPN connection over
    a dedicated circuit. If it could not establish the connection, it would
    dial out to the same network and establish a connection that way. So we
    believe that these commands issued in Kron were to establish that
    connectivity and download some configuration information. I thought
    that removing the modem might possibly bypass whatever is halting the
    boot, but the cards are permanently installed; that is, they are
    installed with rivets, not screws. I wanted to check around before I go
    through the trouble of drilling them out to find out whether or not
    that's the issue.

    Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Here's the router output:

    System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

    Copyright (c) 2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    C1700 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

    PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED

    program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x11e318c

    Self decompressing the image :

    ############# [OK]

    Smart Init is enabled
    smart init is sizing iomem
    ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

    MainBoard 0X00027A80 1711/1712

    0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools

    0X00211000 public particle pools

    VPN 0X00030C0C VPN Module Buffers

    0X0064 0X0000DC00 Card in slot 0

    0X0038 0X00003C00 Card in slot 1

    TOTAL: 0X0036EA3C

    If any of the above Memory Requirement

    "UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported

    configuration or there is a software problem and

    system operation may be compromised.

    Allocating additional 10882306 bytes to IO Memory.

    PMem allocated: 119736514 bytes; IOMem allocated: 14481214 bytes

    Restricted Rights Legend

    Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

    cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version
    12.3(4)XK1

    , RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Synched to technology version 12.3(5.7)T

    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

    Compiled Tue 21-Sep-04 22:36 by ealyon

    Image text-base: 0x80008120, data-base: 0x81F06364

    PASSWORD RECOVERY IS DISABLED.
    Do you want to reset the router to factory default

    configuration and proceed [y/n] ?
    Reset router configuration to factory default.

    This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

    A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be
    found at:

    http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

    If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

    .

    Cisco 1711 (MPC862P) processor (revision 0x101) with 116930K/14142K
    bytes of mem

    ory.
    Processor board ID with hardware revision 0000

    MPC862P processor: part number 7, mask 0

    1 Ethernet interface
    5 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 Serial interface
    1 terminal line
    1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    WARNING:
    Executing this command will disable password recovery mechanism.

    Do not execute this command without another pl

    password recovery.

    Are you sure you want to continue? [yes/no]:

    % Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.
    Are you sure you want to continue? [yes/no]: yes

    %Remove Dialer Profile Configuration first

    Kron: Policy Accepted, Policy needs to be configured

[...]

    Kron: Policy Accepted, Policy needs to be configuredThis command has no

    GusttyWinds, May 17, 2006

  2. GusttyWinds

    Merv Guest

    Merv, May 17, 2006

  3. GusttyWinds

    GusttyWinds Guest

    Thank you for your reply, but that's exactly what I've already tried,
    and its not working. The router seems to continue to boot as if I never
    told it to reset to defaults.

    GusttyWinds, May 17, 2006
  4. GusttyWinds

    GusttyWinds Guest

    I have resolved this.... drilled out the rivets in the modem WIC and
    removed the WIC. The device allowed me to reset it this time.

    GusttyWinds, May 17, 2006