    could get into. I renamed that file. It still asks for a user name.

    Is there any way to fix this without replacing the switch, and formatting
    the flash?

    Trent Collicutt, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Trent Collicutt

    Mike P Guest

    I'm guessing a username was set up but you just don't know what it is. If a
    username doesn't exist it wont ask for one.
    The password recovery process should work

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_reco
    very09186a0080094184.shtml

    but at step 13, as well as changing the enable password, do a show run and
    either remove the username, or add your own one in 'username cisco password
    sanfran' for example.

    HTH,

    M.

    Mike P, Jul 16, 2003

  3. That could work, but I can't get that far. After going through the process,
    when I reboot it still asks for a username.
    I have to get to the prompt to change the config.

    Trent Collicutt, Jul 17, 2003
  4. I swapped it with another switch, formatted the flash and xmodemed an dew IOS image.

    Works fine now.

    Trent Collicutt, Jul 17, 2003