    Thank you for your time folks.

    Regards,
    Vishard.

    egas, Jul 29, 2006

  2. egas

    ricecs Guest

    No, you onle need to reset the enable password while you are in
    recovery mode. Reboot, you will be loaded to previous configuration
    with new enable password.

    ricecs, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Assuming one follows the directions down the path that says how to
    retain the existing configuration. If you fail to do that, you won't
    reboot with the old config still in place (although it'll have you
    rename the config file into a new name, so it'll still exist in flash:
    minus the VLAN data which is stored seperately in a different file.

    Doug McIntyre, Jul 29, 2006
  4. egas

    egas Guest

    Thanks for the input guys!

    I'm gonna go into the office and try it out on Sunday.

    I found a site that had the info to recover the password but didn't
    LOOK as initimidating as the info on Cisco's website (even though it
    was pretty much the same thing!)

    I'm gonna post it below in case someone ever come looking for it here.

    Description

    This document describes the password recovery procedure for the Cisco
    Catalyst 2900-XL and the Cisco Catalyst 3500-XL.
    Step-by-Step Procedure

    1.

    Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console
    port of the switch. Use the following terminal settings:

    9600 baud rate
    No parity
    8 data bits
    No stop bit

    2. Unplug the power cable.

    3. Hold down the mode button while reconnecting the power cord to
    the switch. You can release the mode button a second or two after the
    LED above port 1x is no longer illuminated.

    The following instructions appear:

    The system has been interrupted prior to initializing the
    flash file system.
    The following commands will initialize the flash file system,
    and finish loading
    the operating system software:

    flash_init
    load_helper
    boot

    4. Type flash_init.

    5. Type load_helper.

    6. Type dir flash:.

    The switch file system is displayed:

    Directory of flash:
    2 -rwx 843947 Mar 01 1993 00:02:18 C2900XL-h-mz-112.8-SA
    4 drwx 3776 Mar 01 1993 01:23:24 html
    66 -rwx 130 Jan 01 1970 00:01:19 env_vars
    68 -rwx 1296 Mar 01 1993 06:55:51 config.text
    1728000 bytes total (456704 bytes free)

    7. Type rename flash:config.text flash:config.old to rename the
    configuration file.

    This file contains the password definition.
    8. Type boot to boot the system.

    9. Enter N at the prompt to start the Setup program, Continue with
    the configuration dialog? [yes/no] : N

    10. At the switch prompt type en to turn on enable mode.

    11. Type rename flash:config.old flash:config.text to rename the
    configuration file with its original name.

    12. Copy the configuration file into memory:

    Switch# copy flash:config.text system:running-config
    Source filename [config.text]? (press Return)
    Destination filename [running-config]? (press Return)

    The configuration file is now reloaded.
    13. Change the password:

    switch#configure terminal
    switch(config)#enable password Cisco
    switch#control/Z

    14.

    Write the running configuration to the configuration file:

    switch(config)#write memory

    egas, Jul 29, 2006