    Anyone with any links to pass on would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Daz.

    Daz, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Daz

    Unk Guest

    You could use the security tab in the right-click properties menu.
    Right-click the folder, Properties, Security Tab, and set the permissions
    for just you.

    How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

    First, your hard drive must be formatted NTFS for this tab to show up.

    Second, if you're running XP Pro, you must open Windows Explorer, go to
    Tools, Folder Options, View and
    uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

    Third, if you're running XP Home, Simple File Sharing is enforced by default
    and cannot be disabled. You must boot the computer into Safe Mode and log in
    with the Administrator account, in order to see the Security tab.

    WARNING: Adjusting the permissions on a drive, file or folder can lock even
    the Administrator account out of that drive/file/folder. Deny Permissions
    take precedence over Allow Permissions, regardless of your group membership.
    Administrators are members of the User's group, by default. Uncheck Allow,
    rather than using Deny.

    How Do I see the Security Tab in XP Home?
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

    WARNING: Make sure you create a System Restore point before proceeding.
    Go to:
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp

    Instructions: Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration
    Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file
    you downloaded and extract the contents to a temporary location on your hard
    disk. Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the
    Setup.inf
    (Setup Information) file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After
    the installation is finished, reboot your computer.

    Unk, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Daz

    Daz Guest

    thanks, I appreciate the time you have spent, but this is not what I am
    looking for.
    I would like some program to give me password on a folder.
    My machine is used by others and YES I am aware you can setup other users,
    but again, this is something I do not want to do.
    Therefore, I am looking for a third party piece of software that will allow
    simply(preferably right clicking) password protecting individual folders, so
    that others who use the PC would not get access without the password.
    Thanks.
    Daz.

    Daz, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Daz

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Just curious, why would you want to do it that way? You have all this
    built-in security, where you can specify nobody else can access those
    folders, so why not use it?

    Any 3rd-party utility such as you describe is, BTW, going to affect the
    speed of your system.

    Tergiversative, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Daz

    Rifleman Guest

    Can I ask why not? This would give you complete security without adding any
    extra software.

    Rifleman, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Daz

    Daz Guest

    I want the third party software, I know others do not agree, but this is
    what I am looking for.
    So if anyone knows of a freeware utility(similar to Lock Ness) then please
    let me know.

    Thanks,
    Daz.

    Daz, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Daz

    Rifleman Guest

    www.google.com and I think you're an idiot.

    Rifleman, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Daz

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Daz

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Consider using Winzip: it can compress text files and add a password
    to the Winzip folder. XP treats winzip files as folders too. - RM

    Rick Merrill, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Daz

    Daz Guest

    THANKS everyone, I now have found the program I want.
    thanks for everyone's input.
    Daz.

    Daz, Jan 14, 2004