  1. I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?

    Thanks

    Just Wondering, Jun 25, 2006

  2. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006

  3. Just Wondering

    beenthere Guest

    how the hell do you know that TT ?.
    You haven`t tried them all yet <g>.

    beenthere, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, okay. You could be right. I've just about given up though ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Welllll, OK then. Maybe you could let me know if you know how to do it.
    Or send me to a source for the instructions. Thanks.

    PS to Toolman: Your answer to "beenthere" did not come through.

    Just Wondering, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Well, you DID ask a yes/no question, now didn't you <g>

    Right click on the folder, select "Properties". Click on the "Sharing" tab.
    Select "Make this folder private". If you don't have a password on your
    login account, you should be prompted to apply a password to this folder.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  7. Just Wondering

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
    Security Section.

    Plato, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Thanks for the suggestion, but there appears to be no sharing tab. I do
    something wrong? jim

    Just Wondering, Jun 26, 2006
  9. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Perhaps you need to run the Home Network Setup Wizard. Or enable file and
    printer sharing in the Network Connection Properties. I believe either
    should accomplish what you need.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2006
  10. Just Wondering

    ellis_jay Guest

    English version:

    http://www.sofotex.com/Atronics-File-Security-download_L13337.html

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Jun 27, 2006
  11. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - that "private folder" thing only works if you have multiple user
    accounts. Not convenient if you aren't already doing that.

    But I did some searching on the web, and here's the thing you were looking
    for: http://www.folderaccess.com/

    There's one problem with this program: you have to remember to manually lock
    the folder when you're done. Oh - this is the "free" version and I expect
    there's a limitation somewhere. I think it's only going to lock 4 folders or
    something.

    There are a number of commercial programs available that may work better. I
    couldn't find any way to contact the people who wrote this one to suggest
    they add an option to open folders without removing the lock.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 27, 2006