    regards zerostress

    ### stress is a self-inflicted injury ###

    BOTBAIT

    zerostress, Jun 30, 2007

  2. zerostress

    SgtMinor Guest

    If your flash drive is a name brand you may find that the manufacturer
    offers such software for download. For Lexar drives you can download
    LockTight, and Verbatim drives come with V-safe security software
    installed. For generic drives you could check out Remora, which I can't
    personally recommend as I have not tried it:
    http://www.richskills.com/products/7/freeversion.asp

    SgtMinor, Jun 30, 2007

  3. It *looks* like LockTight is only available for CompactFlash; I don't
    see anything at Lexar that implies it's available for USB drives.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 1, 2007
  4. zerostress

    SgtMinor Guest

    Well, ain't that a pisser. Just yesterday I picked up a reformatted
    Lexar jump drive, so when I read the post this morning I went to the
    Lexar site to read the specs for the product. It mentioned security
    software, and my drive had none, so I clicked on download, and software,
    and there it was: TightLock for a flash drive! Except that, as you
    stated and I subsequently found out, the word "compact" that preceded
    the word "flash" appears to be critical.

    SgtMinor, Jul 1, 2007
  5. zerostress

    DaN Guest

    DaN, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Yeah. I checked it out from your suggestion because I have three Lexar
    USB flash drives myself. Two Sports and a Firefly. For Windows, I've
    used AxCrypt http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/ (free/donationware). But it
    separately encrypts each file, so when you encrypt a directory it has to
    crank through the process for each file within; that makes for a lot of
    chugga-chugga before it's finished. Slick, though -- it puts its
    actions on your rightclick menu from Explorer, so it's always right
    there handy. Now I don't know...perhaps each file *has* to be encrypted
    separately (as versus being able to encrypt a directory with one swift
    action).

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 1, 2007
  7. zerostress

    SgtMinor Guest

    I have some SanDisk Cruzer drives that do allow an entire directory to
    be encrypted, but I have to run the CruzerLock program (it was
    preloaded) each time I want to do anything. I'm not aware of any shortcuts.

    SgtMinor, Jul 1, 2007