    Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
    to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
    Any ideas where to look?

    Arthur Beales, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Arthur Beales

    Doug G Guest

    Retry the sites after deleting their cookies.

    Doug G, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Sorry but I have been there; anyway both of these sites insist on
    setting cookies to get in!

    Arthur Beales, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Deleting the cookies won't stop you logging back in -- new cookies will
    be baked on the spot. *Blocking* cookies from those sites is what will
    cause you problems.

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Arthur Beales

    The One Guest

    Oh look yet another problem!

    The One, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Even with all cookies enabled makes no difference.

    Arthur Beales, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Wasn't what I meant! Yes, for sure, have cookies enabled. But once
    you've done that, use the cookie manager to *delete specific cookies for
    the sites in question, then look again*.

    Sorry for any confusion.

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

    David Harrison, Apr 23, 2005
  8. I do not seem to get far enough into the site to collect cookies: the
    only ONE I have got listed is from Mozillazine!
    BTW I have upgraded to FF1.0.3 but still no difference; looks as though
    I will just have to wear it .. damn!
    AB

    Arthur Beales, Apr 23, 2005
  9. On 4/23/2005 2:43 PM, Arthur Beales said:

    Hum. Do these sites log you into the same window, or into a popup? IIRC
    when I bet on the Boat Race, the bookie's site does all its business in
    a large popup! If you have popup blocking set on sites like that, you
    might have authenticated properly, but the logged-in window is quashed.
    Try clearing these sites in the popup manager and see if it helps?

    cheers,

    David H

    David Harrison, Apr 23, 2005
  10. The main site that refuses entry (www.assa.org.au) opens a new window
    for "members"; can't see any popups. I have allowed it to set popups but
    no change.
    grrr!
    Arthur

    Arthur Beales, Apr 24, 2005
  11. Arthur Beales

    Moz Champion Guest

    One that, if you cared to read, was resolved.

    Go to your MS newsgroups and see the hundreds of problems posted in a
    day that are NEVER resolved!

    Moz Champion, Apr 25, 2005
  12. Actually .. not quite resolved! .. though I suspect it may not
    necessarily be a Firefox problem. I have a Toshiba Notebook with an
    identical setup (except that the Notebook has XP Pro instead of Home)
    and it will access all the sites quite happily. I now have FF 1.0.3 on
    both & the status is still the same. The recalcitrant sites work on the
    Notebook but not on the Desktop. So what I guess I am asking is can
    someone suggest where to look for the problem (AND solution) on the
    Desktop - which is the beast I normally prefer to use for this type of job?

    Arthur Beales, Apr 27, 2005
  13. Arthur Beales

    Moz Champion Guest

    You have a hosts file on the desktop?

    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005
  14. I don't think so .. what is a hosts file??

    Arthur Beales, Apr 29, 2005
  15. Arthur Beales

    Moz Champion Guest

    A hosts file is a file which lists or delimits what domains can be contacted

    You will have to ask others here on how to ascertain if you have one,
    and if so, how to view it

    Moz Champion, Apr 30, 2005
  16. I have not knowingly set up anything of the sort & am not part of any
    network; thus I doubt that I have anything in the way of a hosts file!
    Anyway I used to be able to access these sites but, without knowingly
    changing anything, I now find that I cannot. So I suspect something in
    Windows has gone pear-shaped .. the question is what & where?

    Arthur Beales, Apr 30, 2005
  17. Arthur Beales

    Big Will Guest

    if you're interested in seeing what's in your hosts file, type in a run
    dialogue box: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and it
    should pull it right up. If you see anything other then the 127.0.0.1
    localhost line (excluding the descriptiong of a hosts file) that
    you know you didn't put their yourself (and didn't have Spybod s&d put
    it there for you) then delete it.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 1, 2005
  18. Thanks for that Will; I will tuck it away into the memory cells for
    future use. However I have finally resolved the issue of sites not
    allowing logins after a lot of head-scratching .. and swearing!
    .. and without using IE!
    The problem was, indeed, with cookies .. though not as simple as had
    been hoped/thought.
    Initially I had cookies disallowed, but on advice from the local
    webmaster, I enabled them ... BUT, this did not work retrospectively.
    FireFox had previously recorded that cookies were disallowed for all
    sites .. and it remembered this for all sites I had visited until I
    changed it to allow them. So, with the (local)ASSA site being one of
    these, it continued to disallow them at ASSA. I eventually hunted
    through the Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/Exceptions setup and changed
    "Block" to "Allow" for the ASSA site .. and Bingo - all is OK!
    So it was not specifically a FireFox issue.
    Hope this may be of some use to anyone else who has similar strife.
    Thanks to all who have replied
    Arthur

    Arthur Beales, May 2, 2005
  19. Arthur Beales

    J.E. Guest

    I used to get Firefox 1.0.2 remembering passwords with the help of
    little extension "Always Remember Password"

    Now after updating to Firefox 1.0.3 this password function does not
    work with YahooMail and Hotmail although it does with most of other
    URLs.

    Does anybody know how to get it working also with Yahoo and Hotmail?

    J.E., May 3, 2005
  20. Arthur Beales

    Big Will Guest

    extension? I just use the FF password manager. I'd check the settings
    in your PW manager (or extension, if that's what you ment) to see if you
    have it set to nevewr allow passwords on hotmal and yahoo.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 4, 2005