    and never encountered this before.

    Thanks alot,
    Mack

    Mack, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Mack

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    XP is checking your credentials, it's the XP password that is required.
    The rule is no password no access so you need to set yourself a password
    (probably easier to use the same user name and password on both machines,
    then once you're signed on you'll have free access to both).

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Mack

    Jon Guest

    [email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
    You do have a password, but it sounds like you've stored it. It will be
    the password you entered when XP was installed.

    That's assuming that you've not set a password when sharing the drive(s)
    on the other machine?

    Jon, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Mack

    Mack Guest

    I didn't actually set a password when I installed XP, nor have I set one re
    sharing the drives.

    Thanks,
    Mack

    Mack, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Mack

    Mack Guest

    Thanks Jeff - I suspected as much, as the dialogue box has the appearance of
    the usual Windows log in - it just seems strange that it's never happened
    with the Linksys equipment I've used in the past.

    Now, how do I set up a password?? LOL, it's been a long time and I can't
    remember :)

    Thanks,
    Mack

    Mack, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Mack

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    How did you install XP without setting at least a master 'administrator'
    password..?

    And why not..? Do you *want* anyone passing to have unrestricted
    access..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Mack

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 31 Jul
    uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Ivor Jones"
    Restore a Dell that came with XP pre-SP1, and it offers no option to give the
    Administrator user a password.

    deKay

    deKay, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Mack

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ah, I didn't know that. All my installations have been either post SP1 or
    SP2.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 31, 2006
  9. Mack

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    It's standard in XP Home for the Administrator Account to be set up with a
    blank password.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 31, 2006
  10. Mack

    Mack Guest

    Ivor, it was set up with a blank password, which XP Home allows. It's a
    home PC, and I am the sole user, no so danger of anyone 'passing' having
    access.

    Mack

    Mack, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Mack

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 31 Jul
    I assume you don't have it connected to the internet then?

    deKay

    deKay, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Mack

    Ivor Jones Guest

    My thoughts exactly. Remind me never to install XP Home. I have only ever
    used NT and XP Pro so have no experience of the "Home" version, but it
    sounds like a major security flaw to me not to require a password on
    login.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 31, 2006
  13. Mack

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    It's even worse than that :-(

    Having set up the default Admin account with a bank password, XP will then
    not let you access certain things because the Admin password is blank!

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 31, 2006
  14. Mack

    Mack Guest

    Christ, I didn't know about these things.... I always thought the firewall,
    AV and anti-spyware programmes afforded adequate security. What are the
    certain things I can't access? Can I still set this password upon the
    default admin account?

    Thanks.
    Mack

    Mack, Jul 31, 2006
  15. Mack

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    In XP Home you can only log on as Administrator in safe mode. Re-boot,
    hang on to the 'F8' key and log in to safe mode as Administrator with a
    blank password. Then go to Control Panel -> User Accounts, select the
    Administrator Account and set up a password. I 'think' the account will
    show up if you log on as Administrator, if not hopefully an XP Home expert
    will chime in and give some guidance.

    The area I had a problem with was, from memory, trying to get to the
    repair console, it just wouldn't accept a blank password. I may be
    remembering wrong though, I got so frustrated I put XP Pro on.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 31, 2006
  16. Mack

    Pier Danone Guest

    | On 31/07/2006 Mack wrote:
    |
    | >Christ, I didn't know about these things.... I always thought the
    | >firewall, AV and anti-spyware programmes afforded adequate security. What
    | >are the certain things I can't access? Can I still set this password upon
    | >the default admin account?
    |
    | In XP Home you can only log on as Administrator in safe mode. Re-boot,
    | hang on to the 'F8' key and log in to safe mode as Administrator with a
    | blank password. Then go to Control Panel -> User Accounts, select the
    | Administrator Account and set up a password. I 'think' the account will
    | show up if you log on as Administrator, if not hopefully an XP Home expert
    | will chime in and give some guidance.
    |
    | The area I had a problem with was, from memory, trying to get to the
    | repair console, it just wouldn't accept a blank password. I may be
    | remembering wrong though, I got so frustrated I put XP Pro on.
    |
    | --
    | Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
    | Using XanaNews 1.18.1.3

    XP Pro, even with a admin password, is still more insecure than XP home. It's
    those extra little services like IIS that make it so.
    Problem is, ask anyone why they have bought XP Pro and most will just shrug and
    say 'because it's pro'. Very few people are aware of the differences.

    Pier Danone, Aug 1, 2006
  17. Mack

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    It's an option, not installed by default. Pro does ask for an
    Administrator PW though, that's one of the weakest points of Home.
    That's probably very true. When it was released the magazine reviews were
    adamant that only Pro would run dual monitors, which turned out to be
    incorrect.

    Jeff Gaines, Aug 1, 2006
  18. Mack

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Cobblers. You don't have to install IIS, I haven't.
    I am, which is why I chose it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2006
  19. Mack

    Mack Guest

    Thanks for that, Jeff, I'll give it a go. I think in future I'll stick to
    Linksys :)

    Mack

    Mack, Aug 1, 2006
  20. Mack

    Pier Danone Guest

    | | > Problem is, ask anyone why they have bought XP Pro and
    | > most will just shrug and say 'because it's pro'. Very few
    | > people are aware of the differences.
    |
    | I am, which is why I chose it.

    Would you like to share them with us, just for the record, in case anyone is
    really wondering what the extra money gets.
    I am not being sarcastic, but clearly you must know and your knowledge would be
    a benefit to all of us.

    Pier Danone, Aug 1, 2006