passive boosters, 802.11 g v. n

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Judges1318, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    Would anyone care to comment/recommend on a wireless home router
    for one laptop computer.

    The configuration is:

    The children's room is under the garage, with a concrete ceiling
    (the garage floor) above it.

    The room has an ADSL (telescum), and a children's desktop.

    The lounge/kitchen is above the garage, and there
    is a brand new laptop in it, with a 802.11n device.

    The intention is to put a 802.11 router next to the
    ADSL modem, in order to have a wireless connection
    for the laptop.

    There are no other computers to be linked.

    Mrs. does not want any wires anywhere in the lounge, so rewiring
    is out of question.

    - Will 'n' wireless work through a concrete slab.

    - Will 'g' work through a concrete slab?

    - If both will work, would the 'n' work any better than the 'g'?

    - BTW, what are good 'g' and 'n' routers, in your experience/opinion?

    - Is 'g' fast enough for all practical purposes, according
    to your experience/opinion (streaming audio, youtube rubbish and alike)?

    - Is there a passive 'booster' i.e. a directional antenna
    that can be added to a wireless router?

    - Will it help to get the signal through the concrete slab?

    Some time ago someone was using a wok net as a parabolic reflector,
    but I have forgotten where I saw it.

    All comments/hints welcome.

    Cheers!

    Judges1318, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Judges1318

    EMB Guest

    Also maybe
    Almost certainly
    802.11g will give you a real world throughput of close to 20Mb/s with a
    decent signal. Is your broadband faster than that?
    maybe - it'll depend a lot on the thickness of the slab and how much
    steel is in it.
    http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

    EMB, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    That helped! Thanks a lot!

    Judges1318, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Judges1318

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Reality is try it out and see. Look for one with multiple antennas, either
    internal or replaceable external ones which can be swapped for ones with
    higher gain.

    I'm using a WL 600 G all in one

    Craig Sutton, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Judges1318

    Judges1318 Guest

    Hm, interesting! I have not known they were making these! Thanks!
    I know. But forward looking has become a luxury.
    Otherwise, I would have proposed recabling of the whole house,
    and resolve all household networking issues "forever";-).

    Judges1318, Nov 9, 2008
  6. Judges1318

    Richard Guest

    I would disagree with that. G only gives a 54meg rate when in the same
    room, which delivers about 18-20. When you have a wall in the way the
    speed still shows the link at 54 or 36, but the thruput will plummet to
    5-10 on a good day.

    Multiple antennas, and gear that supports mimo helps a hell of a lot in
    non line of sight conditions, N has that so is a great step up from G
    for stability of the connection IME, and the speed will become a non
    issue thruout most of a normal small NZ house.

    I would get a N accesspoint and try it in various locations downstairs
    to see how it goes upstairs. Dont get an all in one router since that
    makes moving things around a pain.

    Richard, Nov 10, 2008