    turned 50 years old in October so I got my AARP card and A+
    Certification about the same time. I hope that is an inspiration to you
    older guys. Seriously, this group was very helpful with my studies.

    dconley, Jan 13, 2006

  2. dconley

    Paul C Guest

    Congrats. I've also just got back from doing the hardware test. Passed with
    662. Role on the OS one in March for myself.

    Paul

    Paul C, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Congrats from another old fart. I passed in 2001 at age 48. Don't remember
    the scores anymore (can barely remember breakfast), but I passed both on the
    same day and Net+ two weeks later. What will you do next?

    CarlosAntenna, Jan 13, 2006
  4. dconley

    dconley Guest

    That's a good question. I've just started some courses in the health
    care field to work on my third career. My first two careers aren't
    careers any more. I thought having a more in depth understanding of
    PC's would be helpful in what ever I did and would eliminate one of the
    the arguments that hiring managers make to not hire older workers, ie
    that we are not computer savvy. Of course, there is still the "it
    costs more to provide health insurance to old farts" argument . . .

    dconley, Jan 14, 2006
  5. dconley

    mike Guest

    congrats !!!

    i also got my A+ & Network+ in 50th year

    mike, Jan 15, 2006
  6. dconley

    Bob Schmidt Guest

    Congratulations! I'll be 48 soon and am working on my a plus. Got my CCNA at
    45! Nothing like starting a new career at this age. I'm curious as to what
    you folks in the 40 or 50-something age group attempt as far as work
    choices. Do you guys work independently or for someone else? Curious to get
    some career stories.

    Bob Schmidt, Jan 16, 2006
  7. dconley

    Patty Guest

    I'm 54 (should a woman really tell her age? *vbg*) and I'm currently
    working on my A+ and plan to do Network+ next. I've always wanted to do
    this and I figure it's never too late.

    Patty

    Patty, Jan 17, 2006
  8. I work for a small manufacturing company www.flatplate.com . When I started
    here 7 years ago I was the only one in the building who had any idea what to
    do with a computer. Everyone had learned only what they needed to do their
    job -- nothing more. I quickly became "the company computer guy". As the
    company grew, so did my involvement in IT. I got several certifications
    since then (A+, Net+, MCSA, MCSE). I am still doing some of the work I was
    originally hired for, but most of my time is now spent on IT and DBA type
    work. The company is still growing rapidly and I hope to give up the few
    Quality Engineering duties I have left very soon.

    CarlosAntenna, Jan 17, 2006
  9. dconley

    dconley Guest

    I looked at your company website. I used to buy heat exchangers when I
    worked in procurement back in the 70's (C.E. Lummus--for petrochemical
    plant construction). Man, that was a long time ago.

    dconley, Jan 19, 2006
  10. You didn't buy ours. The company was only started in the mid 90s.

    CarlosAntenna, Jan 19, 2006
  11. dconley

    Linda Guest

    Keeping up the side for the girls (well I'm 43 but still a girl in my
    mind!) I passed my A+ Hardware yesterday too.
    It was just something I decided to do, after a few years tinkering with my
    own pc and getting called upon by various friends, neighbours etc to help
    because they thought I seemed good at it. I've not studied for a long time
    and wanted a challenge... now got to start preparing for the OS.

    Linda, Feb 2, 2006
  12. That's quite an email address you have there, Kathy. LOL

    WinXP_Powered, Feb 24, 2006
  13. dconley

    Linda Guest

    Thanks. Like you, finding the time to study is hard but I'm determined to
    fit in some extra hours each week. If anyone finds any spare time laying
    around, please chuck it my way! :eek:)

    Linda, Feb 28, 2006
  14. dconley

    Nick zak Guest

    Hey folks, wanted to know what was the best way to go about getting A+
    certified...those online interactive courses any good ?
    and then what other certification would broaden my chances the most ?

    thanks for any info

    Nick zak, Mar 3, 2006
  15. Get Mike Meyers "All In One A+ Certification Exam Guide", 5th Edition,
    Osborne-McGrawHill. Read that book in order, from beginning to end.

    John

    WinXP_Powered, Mar 4, 2006