passed 70-305 today

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by jmc, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Hi all,

    Just wanted to share some tips for those looking to prepare for 70-305.
    I've done ASP for about 3 years and made the migration to .NET about two
    months ago. I decided a cert was a good way to give myself a structured
    environment to study/learn the material, rather than just diving in.

    I passed with a really good score, mostly because I studied 6-8 hours a day
    for seven weeks. I used Gunderloy's 70-305 book by Que, and cannot stress
    enough how well it lays out the material. I did all of the step by step
    problems, guided exercises and chapter exercises, and studied the
    review/practice exam questions at the end of each chapter. It's very
    important to actually do all this stuff to get the hands on experience if
    you're new to .NET. I also did a couple of larger side projects including a
    personal home page and a simple online shopping application.

    While the Que book is a great start it is definately weak in parts
    (particularly testing, debugging, security and other general app.
    configuration topics). Still I think if you knew the book 100% you'd pass
    the exam, but with a low score. To fill in the holes you really have to do
    a lot of practice tests (transcender, msmeasureup and preplogic are what I
    used). Go over and over the questions until you understand why the correct
    answer is correct. Don't memorize answers, they won't help you on the real
    test. I made an outline of the points I thought I was weak in (debugging,
    security, app. configuration and managing/deploying assemblies) and read
    everything I could find on MSDN. I did the same for the other big topics I
    thought would be most important (databases, databinding, event handling and
    tracing) and that really paid off. MSDN has all the answers to the tests,
    you've just go to focus on your weaknesses and the key sections Microsoft
    lists in the cert outline.

    Oh yeah, and don't use braindumps, they cheapen the experience for those
    that actually want to be held accountable for what they try so hard to
    learn. You can get a great score and not cheat, it is possible, just takes
    a little thing called effort.

    jmc, Jul 29, 2004

  2. jmc

    Quahri Guest

    Congrats,

    Just curious, if you do not mind, how much $ did
    you spend on Transcender, MeasureUp and PrepLogic?

    Regards,

    Quahri

    Quahri, Jul 29, 2004

  3. jmc

    Sree Guest

    Congrats, U have done good to learn the actual subject
    instead pass the exam,if u don't mind How much percentage
    u got in the exam?

    Sree, Jul 29, 2004
  4. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Most of the money I spent was on the book and Transcender, and that was
    around USD 150 total I think. I used the free msmeasureup test for ASP.NET
    but it doesn't include any ADO.NET examples so make sure you get some
    practice with that. I also used the free preplogic trial that came with the
    Que 70-305 book by Gunderloy. You can find all that out on their respective
    websites though. I've heard of cheaper options than transcender but you
    have to be careful you're not buying braindumps or useless easy questions.

    jmc, Jul 31, 2004
  5. jmc

    jmc Guest

    981, I think I missed one question on testing/debugging. Generally I
    thought the questions I got were fairly difficult to answer straight up, but
    at least half of the multiple choice answers provided were easy to
    eliminate. There were almost always 2 or 3 (out of 4 possibilities) that
    could easily be discounted because of some obviously incorrect or unrelated
    wording in the answer. That helped me the most.

    jmc, Jul 31, 2004