    owe me a new keyboard, a new shirt, a new tie and someone is going to
    have to clean this screen!

    (friggin waste of coffee too)

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Preacher Man

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Preacher Man climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    Just One? Okay how about the old testament "eye for an eye" vs the new
    testament "Turn the other cheek"

    How about "Worship no other god before me" and yet you worship Jesus.
    Yeah, I know, he's not a god, he's supposedly the son of god. Pretty
    hypocritical distinction there. How about that thing about "Graven
    images" Every church I've ever been in has at least a statue of a guy
    hanging on a cross around somewhere. Some of them have a statue of a
    supposed virgin too, but I realise yours don't.

    Sorry, that was three, and I'm aware that you have rationalisations for
    all but the last one, so don't bother with reciting them. You just asked
    for examples, and I provided them.

    Why is it important for you to make a distinction whether I am Moslem,
    Hindu, or whatever? I have told you, twice, that I am not superstitious
    (well, except for the lucky coin thing) and see no reason to believe in
    mystical beings. Your mystical beings are no different than any others.

    JaR

    JaR, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    and? but I don't think this is limited to born again christians...

    btw, you're wrong, I'm right and that's final

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Preacher Man

    Ogre Guest

    Sorry...didn't catch it.... continue on.....

    Ogre, Feb 25, 2005
  5. It beats political discussions.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Preacher Man

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Frisbee® climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    The same argument could be put for for a belief in, say, the Elder Gods.
    What if, after you shuffle off this mortal coil, you find that you are in
    the process of being devoured by Cthulhu?

    I don't think "Whoops" will cover it.

    JaR, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    Pascal's gamble. Nothing like 400 year old thinking in a religious
    debate. mind you we have to comapre that to current drivel as well.

    why is it that people seem to miss the point in the word "belief"

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Preacher Man

    Preacher Man Guest

    My faith lets me know 100%, and if my faith is in a God that is not real,
    then so what? I do and go nowhere. The point here is that if God is real,
    I am certain I am going to spend eternity in peace. If God is not real none
    of this matters. But I know the truth.
    I doesn't matter if you are Atheist, Agnostic, Muslim, Buddhist, or what.
    If you don't have Christ as your saviour then you don't have the peace that
    I have. Because Christ brings peace, not religion or lack there of.
    Your friend was right on target. We are saved by "Grace". Grace is God's
    unmerited favor toward man. We don't deserve it and we can't earn it.
    Actually I'm not on the topic of Certification, and I believe you know that.
    You are right. Some never come to the point of thinking for themselves and
    finding truth. But that is not God's fault, it's yours. If you go to hell,
    it won't be because God made you go there, you are dooming yourself if you
    don't accept his Son Jesus Christ as your saviour.
    ? Not really sure what you mean. Care to explain. Unless it's some
    reference to Curious George.

    Preacher Man, Feb 25, 2005
  9. Preacher Man

    Preacher Man Guest

    You need to read to above reply from Frisbee. He is the one that called it
    "garbage". I just merely asked him to elaborate.

    Preacher Man, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    only works if the only 2 choices are Christianity and Athieism. Now make
    your arguement why Islam is wrong vs Hinduism vs everything else.

    ps. I am a Christian.

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Preacher Man

    Preacher Man Guest

    Oops. I replied to Ogre before I knew that Frisbee did. I didn't mean to
    replicate. Oh no I used the word replicate in a casual conversation. I've
    been studying too hard lately.

    Preacher Man, Feb 25, 2005
  12. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    gotta disagree there. I think that both believers and non-believers can
    and do live in fear just like anyone else. believers however might fear
    death less ;)

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005
  13. Preacher Man

    Preacher Man Guest

    Amen!

    Preacher Man, Feb 25, 2005
  14. Preacher Man

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Preacher Man climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    Not true! What if god was really a muslim? He's gonna be ticked off at
    you!
    You are confusing living a moral life with being a christian. The two are
    not necessarily the same. There are more good, moral people that have
    lived in this world without being christian, than the opposite. Human
    civilization has been around for a lot longer than 2000 years, and even
    from AD one on, the majority of the world's population has never been
    christian, let alone so-called "born again" christian.
    Precisely the argument I would expect from a little girl. Hardly what I
    would expect from an adult. YMMV.

    JaR, Feb 25, 2005
  15. Sure about that? Yes, I'm not excited about entering the void, but I don't
    live in fear of eternal damnation, either. *That* would be a wasted life.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    but in no way is it better than beating politicians.

    (things I don't like talking about: politics, sex, religion...no wait, I
    like talking about sex! Where's Kat?)

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005
  17. Preacher Man

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Preacher Man climbed on a soapbox &
    opined:
    I think I would be a tad concerned about this afterlife with this god of
    yours. He seems a capricious deity at best. So after you die, you will go
    to this "heaven" wherin you will sit at the feet of God, and sing
    hosannahs for eternity. Doesn't sound all that great to me, but hey, to
    each his own. The point is, what if you say, sleep in one morning, and
    are late with a hosannah? What if He catches you ducking out for a quick
    drink of water into wine? This God you worship has been known to
    incinerate entire cities of folks for not Doing The Right Thing. What do
    you suppose is going to happen to you? I'm not convinced that even if
    there is a heaven, that I'd necessarily want to be there. If this God of
    yours was a person, he's be locked up as a megalomaniacal psychotic
    sociopath.

    I mean, please. I love you, but you must worship Me or burn in
    everlasting torment? Woohoooo!!!

    JaR, Feb 25, 2005
  18. I'm not saying what if you're wrong about your faith. I'm saying what if
    you're wrong about being granted admission to "Heaven." Do you even
    consider the possibility that you might end up in the other place? That
    doesn't scare you even a little bit? What if you slip up one day, commit
    some kind of sin, and then instantly die before you get a chance to ask
    forgiveness? That would suck. What if you committed a sin that you don't
    even realize you did, or was a sin, therefore not even asking for
    forgiveness? That would suck, too. Or is ignorance of the law not a valid
    defense there, either?
    So basically, you're saying you have it better than *anyone* who doesn't
    believe in JC.
    Oh, boy. If only you knew my super-sinning friend. It's okay, though. He
    believes in JC, so he'll make it to the pearly gates *and* he's gonna have a
    *lot* of fun while he's still here, too.
    Lighten up... it was a joke.
    I accept responsibility for my actions. How can I blame something I don't
    believe in?
    Another bad joke... "I am curious... Yellow." A book I've never read, but
    am familiar with.

    By the way, I'm a frysbeterian. I believe that when we die, our souls go up
    on the roof and won't come down.

    I am actually an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church, as are
    some other MCNGP members.

    Rev. Frisbee

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Feb 25, 2005
  19. Preacher Man

    Preacher Man Guest

    You would have to understand what the Old Testament was for and what the New
    Testament was for. I hope I can explain this good, if not please let me
    know. Here it goes:
    God had a plan for man to be able to be redeemed through the his Son Jesus
    Christ. God also had a time appointed for that to take place, which was
    about 4000 years after the sin of man. The reason for the Old Testament law
    was to try to keep some type of order in man's life until Jesus could come.
    The Old Testament laws were stricter because man by nature is sinful so man
    needed strict laws to keep him in line. Just like if we didn't have speed
    limits and allowed people to choose how fast they wanted to go, it would be
    chaos. Before Jesus came God lived among man, but now that Jesus is come he
    lives in man. So with that in mind man, with God living in him, can make
    better decisions for himself. The message of the OT was put in place to
    deal with man's outer sins, the NT was put in place to deal with man's
    inward. The NT message is to show love and not revenge. They do not
    contradict each other you must realize what they are meant to accomplish.
    I don't really expect you to understand this but "God" is a God of three
    personalities. You have the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost that make
    up God. I do not serve 3 Gods but I serve one God that is comprimised of
    three individual personalities, yet they have total harmony among
    themselves. I know it's a little confusing, but I would be glad to explain
    further if needed. Just remember the Father by himself is not God, neither
    is the Son (Jesus), neither is the Holy Ghost. But you put all three
    together and then you have "God"

    You're right we don't have one, but the whole issue there is concerning
    idolatry. Which would be making images and then serving or worshipping them
    which is strictly forbidden. About the virgin Mary, I believe she was a
    good woman but she is not to be worshipped as some do. That enters into
    idolatry .

    Sorry I didn't realize you didn't want a reply till I got to this point.

    I just like to know who I am debating with so that I can merely point out
    truths that are applicable to your lifestyle or beliefs.

    Preacher Man, Feb 25, 2005
  20. Preacher Man

    Neil Guest

    fly in the ointment here, but if I believe I am a follower of the correct
    religion, why would I fear an afterlife of eternal damnation? If I follow
    the religious "rules" of whatever I will be assured of my 72 virgins or
    whatever.

    This is the very item that scares the CRAP out of me since it puts the
    "Mental" back in a fundamentalist. Doesn't seem to put the fun in
    fundamentalism though....

    Neil, Feb 25, 2005